Thread: Way To Re-install Ubuntu W/o Deleting The Files too?

Way To Re-install Ubuntu W/o Deleting The Files too?

Ok. so i have a problem that hasn't been resolved. everytime i start my computer (ubuntu 8.10) there is no log-on screen. Instead of finding the fix to that, is there a comand that will let me wipe away ubuntu but keep all my files? Settings i don't care about because i believe they are the cause of my problems.

it'd be nice to possible get my log on screen too because i can't even log on right now. ha ha

ANY Help would be lovely! I look forward to your responces
    THANKS
    ~ scott

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Way To Re-install Ubuntu W/o Deleting The Files too?

Hi.

I would boot up the LiveCD and copy the files to another hard drive. And do a clean install.

Note: I'm not an advanced user, so you might want to wait for another reply.
    Last edited by zzHanks; February 28th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unless your files are on a seperate partition, your only choice is to backup the data on an external device.
    Although you mentioned you don't want a fix, could you tell me what happens when you boot up? Is there a blank screen, or a command line?
    I have learnt silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
    - Kahlil Gibran

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Way To Re-install Ubuntu W/o Deleting The Files too?

If you just want to reinstall the OS, just back up the /home directory and reinstall.

What did you do to make the GUI not come on at boot?

Do you get a test screen that asks you to log in?

What video cards do you have?

Do you have the correct video drivers installed for the video card that is installed in the PC?

Were you trying to install drivers that are not in the repos for your video card?
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by scootatheschool1990 View Post
    Ok. so i have a problem that hasn't been resolved. everytime i start my computer (ubuntu 8.10) there is no log-on screen. Instead of finding the fix to that, is there a comand that will let me wipe away ubuntu but keep all my files? Settings i don't care about because i believe they are the cause of my problems.

it'd be nice to possible get my log on screen too because i can't even log on right now. ha ha

ANY Help would be lovely! I look forward to your responces
    THANKS
    ~ scott
    After the computer boots and you don't see a login screen you should see something like "login:$". Type your username and hit enter, and then type your password and hit enter. You will not be able to see them as you type. After that type sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop . After that is finnished restart the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by lordharsha View Post
    Is there a blank screen, or a command line?
    yeah! there's just a blank screen but it has the curser and i can move it around. just no way to "log onto my account" i can press "cntrl alt F6" which gets me to the black and white screen where i can do Sudo's and what not. anything?

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    If you just want to reinstall the OS, just back up the /home directory and reinstall.

What did you do to make the GUI not come on at boot?

Do you get a test screen that asks you to log in?

What video cards do you have?

Do you have the correct video drivers installed for the video card that is installed in the PC?

Were you trying to install drivers that are not in the repos for your video card?
    I know it's not the video card because i was doing the cube desktop (ifg what it's called) but i can see the screen and get to where i can write sudo's. any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxisevolution View Post
    After the computer boots and you don't see a login screen you should see something like "login:$". Type your username and hit enter, and then type your password and hit enter. You will not be able to see them as you type. After that type sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop . After that is finnished restart the computer.
    ok. i'll see if that works " sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"
    thanks ill post a reply here in a second