Thread: how can I backup my xbox360 games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

how can I backup my xbox360 games

I am trying to backup my owned xbox360 games but I am having no luck what so ever. I have looked at other threads on backing up game dvd's but I think I am missing a very important step. First problem, I cannot see any game file information only a video and audio ts folders with about 4mb of information stored on the disc itself. My dvd rewriter is dual layer capable (lite-on sohw-1693s, I was going to use terminal with a command I found in another post,
    growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dao -use-the-force-luke=break:1913760 -dvd-compat -speed=2 -Z /dev/hdc=IMAGE.000

but as i have said there is no image file at all on the disc, so how would I do this?

Also I want the backup to be playable on my xbox 360 and have heard that a physical modification to the console is required to to play the backups and I have also heard that I would have to take apart my dvd burner to copy the discs, Is any of this true or is that just myth. I have a standard store bought xbox 360 arcade version with no modifications at all.

So I guess what I need to know is

Do I need to modify my xbox 360 console?
    How do I modify it?
    Do I need a different program or will k3b work?
    How do I rip the image file from the disc?
    How do I burn the image onto the disc (preferably with k3b)?
    Will dvd+r dl discs work for backup and play back?

Thanks in advance for any help you can be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: how can I backup my xbox360 games

bump

Beans

what you are asking to do could be considered illegal depending on where you live.

in order to play the backed up games, you will need to mod the console. this means, tear it open, and have a little chip added that disables copy protection.... again, this could be considered illegal.

for these reasons, i dont think you will find much information on what you want to do in these forums....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

This type of activity is not supported on these forums. Please keep in mind out goal is to provide support for Ubuntu.

Best of luck to you.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface