Thread: Openbox & bluetooth-applet: how do I tell Nautilus not to manage the desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

[SOLVED] Openbox & bluetooth-applet: how to tell Nautilus not to manage the desktop?

Dear all,

a question I could not find an answer to by a quick look-up. I'm having Intrepid with Openbox as an optional WM, and Bluetooth-Applet as one of the autostarted apps:

Code:
    # This shell script is run before Openbox launches.
    # Environment variables set here are passed to the Openbox session.

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

nitrogen --restore & # comment this if you want Feh to set the background (see line 12)
    pypanel &
    nm-applet &
    gnome-volume-manager &
    update-notifier &
    xcompmgr &
    bruce-type &
    # bluetooth-applet & # Calls up Naughty Nautilus if ya don't watch out!

#eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` & # uncomment this to let Feh set the background (see line 6)
    Now if I use Bluetooth-Applet to browse files in a device, it brings up Nautilus, which would be fine if I just could make it "nautilus --no desktop" instead of Naughty Nautilus taking over.

Openbox and you too, even more so if you can tell me how to keep Naughtilus from playing its solos for a while!
    Last edited by Piraja; April 24th, 2009 at 04:50 AM.
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]
    Now playing: Last.fm

Beans
    Distro

Re: Openbox & bluetooth-applet: how do I tell Nautilus not to manage the desktop?

Alright, I guess I found the right how-to, at the #! Forums. Still had no chance to try it, though, but will as soon as I get my hands on the laptop with both Gnome & Openbox...

Later: Yes, works beautifully. I cordially recommend Corenominal's instructions — this is how the beginning of my autostart.sh looks now:

Code:
    # This shell script is run before Openbox launches.
    # Environment variables set here are passed to the Openbox session.

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

nitrogen --restore & # comment this if you want Feh to set the background (see line 23)
    pypanel &
    nm-applet &
    gnome-volume-manager &
    update-notifier &
    xcompmgr &
    bruce-type &
    bluetooth-applet & 
    # Disable Nautilus desktop.
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &
    # Do not let Nautilus set the background image.
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &
    # Make Nautilus use spatial mode, should start-up quicker.
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/always_use_browser false &
    # Make Nautilus show the advanced permissions dialog 
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_advanced_permissions true &

#eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` & # uncomment this to let Feh set the background (see line 6)
    Later still: See also a screenshot of the bad boy in action.
    Last edited by Piraja; March 1st, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
    I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule [Hey, how do I disable showing colon & parenthesis as an emoticon in my signature?]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Openbox & bluetooth-applet: how do I tell Nautilus not to manage the desktop?

Interesting problem and solution. I am working on a project where that will be useful. Thanks for posting an answer, even though you were the only one.
    If all else fails, read the documentation. There's nothing sissy about a MAN page.

Beans

I have stopped using nautilus, but there is a command line option, that explicitly disables desktop management. It is something like --nodesktop, but you should be able to read it in the nautilus documentation.

Beans
    Distro

Der_Joachim, thanks, I know — the point in my question was that "nautilus --no-desktop" is not the answer in such cases when I use e.g. bluetooth-applet, which calls Nautilus, etc. etc. In any case, my second post in this thread contains an answer that seems perfect, so this thread is indeed SOLVED (no "Mark this thread as solved" option is offered at the time of writing this, too bad).
    Last edited by Piraja; March 2nd, 2009 at 05:50 PM.