Thread: Grub Rescue Help

Beans

Grub Rescue Help

I have a Toshiba Laptop. A while back I was dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7, although recently I wasn't using Ubuntu for anything so I decided to delete the Partition and forgot to change the bootloader. My computer ran fine until I had to restart it. Then grub rescue.
    I've tried looking up various commands and it gives me the Unknown command notification. I've also tried booting from cd but that gave me no results. I looked in the bios and it didn't even give me an option to boot from cd. It does have a boot from usb one so I tried putting Ubuntu onto a flashdrive, but it told me to remove all discs and other media when it was the only thing plugged into my computer.
    Any other help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub Rescue Help

You need to boot from your Windows 7 DVD, this will let you repair the Windows boot loader.

If you can't boot from a DVD for any reason, it's possible to create a bootable USB from your Windows installation media to use instead.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

oldfred saved me from the very same situation with this:
    Boot-Repair Disk

You will need to use an alternate computer to download and burn to a cd. Then load into tray. Pick the popup option that "will fix the most common errors".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You need to boot from your Windows 7 DVD, this will let you repair the Windows boot loader.

If you can't boot from a DVD for any reason, it's possible to create a bootable USB from your Windows installation media to use instead.
    I don't have a windows 7 DVD. My laptop had it pre-installed.

Beans
    Distro

If you have a Ubuntu Live CD you can boot from you can fix your bootloader with the following commands...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    Cheesemill

Beans

Late reply from me, woo! Sudo is an unknown command. Is there another command for Grub Rescue that does the same thing?

Beans
    Distro

You cant fix your machine from the grub prompt. You need to boot from a Ubuntu Live CD and then run the commands I gave you.
    Cheesemill

Beans

I believe I have said that I tried a live cd? It was the first thing I tried, and no response. I've tried changing the boot order as well, there is no option for cd.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Best to boot a flash drive or DVD. Some systems get so locked up that you need a total cold boot, including removing battery and dissipate capacitors.

Grub Rescue Prompt Megathread - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594052
    HOWTO: Boot & Install Ubuntu from the Grub Rescue Prompt
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1599293

Laptop full power reset. post #4 hold power on switch
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12401315
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you have a Ubuntu Live CD you can boot from you can fix your bootloader with the following commands...
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    Play around with boot options and it booted to cd. Trying this now. Will there be anything further I have to do after the codes? I can I go back on my merry way with windows 7?