Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avatar won't upload

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm trying to upload an avatar image, but for some reason I can't. It's a 90x64 .gif file (animated, if that makes a difference). When the forum rejected it I uploaded it to photobucket and tried all four URL's provided in option 1 of the custom avatar box, where you can enter a URL. Since photobucket doesn't use http://www. like the forum box suggests, all four URL's are rejected (I assume that's the case, that the forums are too rigid?)

How can I upload this file? What URL is correct, if all four provided by one of the largest photo sharing sites on the net are bad/wrong/unacceptable?

Thanks!

EDIT: When I try to upload it tells me it's an invalid file. I know it's not the animation causing this, because I have another, non-animated .png that it rejects, as well. Just remembered....

EDIT 2: Nevermind, now it's telling me I can't upload animated images. Next it'll say I can't upload color images, or that I'm limited to ASCII drawings.

Crayola pictographs, anyone?

-1 to crappy forum rules.
    Last edited by solwic; February 27th, 2009 at 11:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Avatar won't upload

Maybe it's me but I don't think I've seen any animated av's on the forum, not that I have travelled a lot in it.

Size is fine..Sherlock Holmes instinct tells me it's cos it's animated.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThePain View Post
    Maybe it's me but I don't think I've seen any animated av's on the forum, not that I have travelled a lot in it.

Yeah it was. CoC doesn't say anything about animated avatars that I can find, but I'm sure that if it isn't squirreled away in there somewhere, it will be soon.

Ah well, it's just an avatar I guess.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Although it doesn't explain why the non-animated .png file wouldn't upload.

EDIT: And scratch that...that picture uploads now. Hmmm.

Anyway, thanks for the insight.
    Last edited by solwic; February 27th, 2009 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThePain View Post

No, only staff can have animated avatars. And not many of them do.

From the Forum FAQ (Under Forum Help at the top of the page, scroll down to ubuntu-geek's announcement):

Why can't I use an animated gif as my avatar?

In the past (up to sometime near the end of 2005) users were allowed to use animated gifs as avatars. This ended when there was a sudden wave of really distracting and obnoxious flashing, gaudy avatars. (Honestly, can you concentrate on information when looking at animated avatars like these?) Rather than make a long list of what is an isn't acceptable for animated avatar usage and then forcing the staff to monitor and police their use it was decided that they would be banned altogether. Those users who had appropriate animated avatars at the time were allowed to keep them and so you may see a small number of them floating around the forums. If/when those users decide to change their avatars they will not be allowed to replace the current animated gifs with another animated avatar but will have to choose an regular non-moving picture like the rest of us.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Weak that a few [explative's] ruined it for everybody else. Ah well, like I said before...it's only an avatar.

Thanks for the heads up, I must've looked right over top of that announcement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

From which I draw a new theorem.."Red tape exists because it is useful".
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by snova View Post
    No, only staff can have animated avatars. And not many of them do.

From the Forum FAQ (Under Forum Help at the top of the page, scroll down to ubuntu-geek's announcement):
    I used to have one of those annoying avatars on another forum...
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

and that is very annoying

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It wasn't flashy or annoying. It was a testament to my experience with using Microsoft Windows.

<snip>

Last edited by Perfect Storm; February 28th, 2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Funny, but in violation of CoC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast