Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Synctex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Installing Synctex

Has anybody had any success installing synctex?

Beans

Re: Installing Synctex

Hi!

If you want to use synctex, you need a pdfviewer and a text editor that supports it. To my knowlege, only texworks supports this on linux. I don't like texworks, so I patched the gnome pdfviewer evince and the editor geany, to support synctex. You can get the patches and a guide on howto get it working on my site:

http://lundgaard.wep.dk/?page=synctex
    Last edited by thomaslundgaard; May 25th, 2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Woops, wrong URL

Beans

it would be great to get this accepted upstream. have you proposed that?

i saw that there's an old feature request in evince's bugzilla, but nothing got accepted so far.

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=543503

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomaslundgaard View Post
    Hi!

If you want to use synctex, you need a pdfviewer and a text editor that supports it. To my knowlege, only texworks supports this on linux. I don't like texworks, so I patched the gnome pdfviewer evince and the editor geany, to support synctex. You can get the patches and a guide on howto get it working on my site:

http://lundgaard.wep.dk/?page=synctex
    Thomas,

Thanks for the info. I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but so far I've got it half-working, following the instructions on your website.

Working on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit...

In addition to what's listed there, I also had to install the packages:
    intltool
    libgnome-keyring-dev
    libpoppler-glib-dev
    to correctly compile evince.

Even though I had a full install of TeXlive 2009 already, I also had to install the texinfo in my attempts to get texi2pdf to work, though I ended up mostly giving up on that.

After compiling both evince and geany, I still couldn't make them work together using your script at first. I wasn't sure whether it was texi2pdf or synctex that was the problem. (My synctex seems to want to segfault a lot of the time, especially when the -x option is used.)

I ended up changing your compilation script, removing a lot of stuff I didn't need (for the purpose of debugging), like BibTeX support and finding the "main" file, and ended up just using straight pdflatex rather than involving texi2pdf (--I didn't really understand the syntax of that line in the bash file--), and getting the necessary info from synctex in a different way.

My modified script is as follows. I apologize for what I'm sure are amateurish steps. I'm quite noobish with bash. (I'm not a programmer; I'm a philosophy professor, so cut me some slack...)

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Compile latex document and open viewer at specified location via synctex
    LINE=$1
    COLUMN=$2
    FILE=$3
    MAINFILE=${FILE%.tex}

LATEX_LOG="${MAINFILE}.log"
    BIBTEX_LOG="${MAINFILE}.blg"
    SYNCTEX_FILE="${MAINFILE}.synctex.gz"

## Compile
    ########################################
    pdflatex -halt-on-error --synctex=1 "${MAINFILE}.tex"

####################################
        ## Check for warnings in latex log
        ####################################
        # Get warnings from latex logfile
        IGNORED_WARNINGS=$( echo -e "LaTeX Warning: Label \`' multiply defined.\nLaTeX Warning: There were multiply-defined labels." )
        WARNINGS=$( cat "$LATEX_LOG" | grep --ignore-case "LaTeX Warning" | grep --invert-match -F "$IGNORED_WARNINGS" )

# For each warning
        IFS="
    "
        for warning in $WARNINGS; do
            echo ":1:${warning}"
        done
        unset IFS

## View with synctex
        LINE=$( expr ${LINE} - 1 )

page=""
    page=`synctex view -i "$LINE:$COLUMN:$FILE" -o "${MAINFILE}.pdf" | grep "Page:" | sed 's@Page:@@'`
    x=`synctex view -i "$LINE:$COLUMN:$FILE" -o "${MAINFILE}.pdf" | grep "h:" | sed 's@h:@@'`
    y=`synctex view -i "$LINE:$COLUMN:$FILE" -o "${MAINFILE}.pdf" | grep "v:" | sed 's@v:@@'`
    width=`synctex view -i "$LINE:$COLUMN:$FILE" -o "${MAINFILE}.pdf" | grep "W:" | sed 's@W:@@'`
    height=`synctex view -i "$LINE:$COLUMN:$FILE" -o "${MAINFILE}.pdf" | grep "H:" | sed 's@H:@@'`

height=$( expr $( echo ${height} | grep -o ^[0-9] ) \* 2 )

if [ "$page" ]; then
            evince --use-absolute-page --page-label "$page" --highlight-rect "${x}:${y}:${width}:${height}" "${MAINFILE}.pdf" 2>/dev/null &
        else
            echo "Synctex did not return usable results, viewing without synctex"
            evince "${MAINFILE}.pdf" 2>/dev/null &
        fi
    With this, I can get forward search working from geany to evince, but so far I've had no luck getting backward search from evince to geany working at all. Double clicking inside evince has no discernible effect whatever, and I don't even know where to begin diagnosing the problem.

Beans

I've been using synctex successfully (with Forward Search and Inverse Search) for the last couple of months in Ubuntu 9.10 using the following...

1. Kile, a KDE editor that I run under Gnome
    2. Okular, a KDE PDF viewer that I run under Gnome
    3. texlive (2009) installed from a ppa
    4. A simple python script that I wrote

Instructions on how to set everything up can be found here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...evel.kile/1340
    (See posts "Stefan Witwicki | 12 Feb 00:39", "Stefan Witwicki | 12 Feb 05:14", "Stefan Witwicki | 12 Feb 23:44")

Let me know if you have any trouble setting things up this way. I have to say that I much prefer Okular to Evince. It has some very useful functionality that Evince lacks.

-Stefan

Beans

SyncTex is not yet released in current TeX distributions (TeXLive 2007), but you can install it by following these steps:
    1- install the TexLive distribution
    2- replace the following three files:
    C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\pdftex.exe
    C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\pdftex.dll
    C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\kpathsea356.dll
    by pdftex.dll, pdftex.exe, and kpathsea356.dll.
    3- Regenerate the format files using the setup program from the TexLive CD

Using SyncTex

Now to generate .synctex files you just need to specify the --synctex command-line argument to pdftex as follows:
    pdflatex --synctex=-1 test.tex

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
    Thomas,

Thanks for the info. I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but so far I've got it half-working, following the instructions on your website.

With this, I can get forward search working from geany to evince, but so far I've had no luck getting backward search from evince to geany working at all. Double clicking inside evince has no discernible effect whatever, and I don't even know where to begin diagnosing the problem.
    Frabjous,

It just occurred to me that double-clicking may not be the correct way to invoke inverse (a.k.a. backward) search from evince. Try [Shift]-[leftclick]. That's what it is in Okular.

-Stefan

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by witwicki View Post
    I've been using synctex successfully (with Forward Search and Inverse Search) for the last couple of months in Ubuntu 9.10 using the following...
    Thanks for the suggestions. I used to use Kile and Okular awhile back, but (1) it bothered me having to install half of KDE to use it, (2) Kile seemed far less lightweight compared to the other text editors I use for other purposes, though it's definitely very capable, and (3) the font-rendering and antialiasing in Okular looks simply terrible on my setup compared to evince--which is somewhat of a mystery since both are based on the poppler libraries. (It also loaded slower.)

Still, it might not hurt to try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by MaraShylaStewart View Post
    SyncTex is not yet released in current TeX distributions (TeXLive 2007), but you can install it by following these steps:
    As I already noted, I'm using TeXlive 2009, which I installed through the online install script. Synctex is definitely installed, and is working fine with TeXworks.

C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\pdftex.exe
    C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\pdftex.dll
    C:\TeXLive2007\bin\win32\kpathsea356.dll
    by pdftex.dll, pdftex.exe, and kpathsea356.dll.
    Those look like Windows files. What does this have to do with this thread? I appreicate efforts to help, but why do I have a feeling I'm communicating with a bot, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by witwicki View Post
    It just occurred to me that double-clicking may not be the correct way to invoke inverse (a.k.a. backward) search from evince. Try [Shift]-[leftclick]. That's what it is in Okular.
    Believe me, I tried every variant of clicking, shift-clicking, control-clicking, left/right/middle, you name it. No luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Perhaps I should wait until there's an official patch for evince.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I used to use Kile and Okular awhile back, but (1) it bothered me having to install half of KDE to use it, (2) Kile seemed far less lightweight compared to the other text editors I use for other purposes, though it's definitely very capable, and (3) the font-rendering and antialiasing in Okular looks simply terrible on my setup compared to evince--which is somewhat of a mystery since both are based on the poppler libraries. (It also loaded slower.)

Still, it might not hurt to try it again.
    I agree that the rendering of Okular looks a little odd, but I find it acceptable for the purposes of LaTeX development.
    (I'm not sure why it would look "terrible", though. Viewing my PDFs in my environment, it just looks different. It is as if text is displayed in a slightly different but equally-sized font. I've never noticed anti-aliasing artifacts.)

And while, as you note, Kile and Okular are not all that lightweight,
    personally, I find that the inverse search capability far outweighs any such issues.

Beans

I also had font rendering issues with Okular in Jaunty and Karmic, but everything is fine under Lucid.

Getting Synctex to work is much more straightforward now, I installed texlive-full and okular and all I had to do was

- configure Okular to use gVim as text editor ("gvim --remote-wait +%l "+normal %c|" %f" in my case)
    - configure vim-latexsuite's forward search function to use Okular instead of kdvi (see this helpful wiki https://facwiki.cs.byu.edu/nlp/index...LaTeX_on_Linux)
    - run pdflatex with the option "-synctex=1"

It's not 100% out of the box (unless maybe you use Kile instead of vim), but it's a lot easier than compiling a patched version of evince

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast