Thread: Software Program...

Beans

Software Program...

What are the steps to creating a Software Program using Python to be used on Debian xfce amd64 and linux users as well?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Software Program...

Moved to PT.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Generally, Python is cross-platform. Majority of anything you program that works on Debian will work on Linux, Mac, or Windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by El1iP3S01D View Post
    What are the steps to creating a Software Program using Python to be used on Debian xfce amd64 and linux users as well?
    Well you've decided upon a language and have set a GUI benchmark (xfce), you need to determine which python GUI libraries work on xfce, I'm guessing you'd be better off sticking to tkinter but some of the more knowledgable pythonites might offer other suggestions.

The next stage (or continuation of this stage) is design, jumping on the keyboard and producing code isn't always the best option, following a design does have advantages.

After the design stage you are into the code/test phase, this is where having a design helps as you can code blocks, test them and then build upon them for other parts of the application.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I might just be way of base but "Debian xfce amd64 and Linux" what exactly do you mean???

Debian = A Linux distribution.
    xfce = A desktop environment for Linux?
    amd64 = An architecture.
    Linux = An OS which handles the first two and runs on the third?

Python as stated is cross-platform, the interpreter handles the differences between platforms as a layer.

ex.
    Code:
       OS
        |
    Interpreter
        |
    Your code
    So as you see the code doesn't really touch the OS (half truth), however there can be differences when it comes to some file handling or some libs being dynamic on one OS and static on another etc.
    Last edited by Ferrat; February 27th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.