Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New to ubuntu, in Boston

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    3

    New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Hi, I don't know really much of anything about Ubuntu, but it is the operating system in my workplace and was interested in learning more about it. I work for the internet archive (archive.org) digitizing books. So, hello to everyone!

  2. #2
    Therion is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Right behind you...
    Beans
    2,768
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

    Re: New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by lbradford86 View Post
    Hi, I don't know really much of anything about Ubuntu, but it is the operating system in my workplace and was interested in learning more about it. I work for the internet archive (archive.org) digitizing books. So, hello to everyone!
    Do you mean to say that Ubuntu is the OS of choice for people who work at archive dot org?! That would be pretty incredible *in my book (ha!).

    And I think archive dot org just awesome by the way. I would be proud to be part of such an incredibly important endeavor.






    *I'm going to go ahead and apologize for that now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Beans
    29
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    Do you mean to say that Ubuntu is the OS of choice for people who work at archive dot org?! That would be pretty incredible *in my book (ha!).

    And I think archive dot org just awesome by the way. I would be proud to be part of such an incredibly important endeavor.






    *I'm going to go ahead and apologize for that now.
    OMG! @ the horrible pun. And Welcome to Ubuntu! It isn't too hard if you don't know a lot about computers but it's a little difficult if you have to break the windows habits. So soak in the Ubuntu.
    Times Change. People Change. Get over it.|
    I support Kinetic Kiwi for Ubuntu 9.10's official name. Do you?
    Add this to your signature to show your support!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lowell, MA
    Beans
    56
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by lbradford86 View Post
    Hi, I don't know really much of anything about Ubuntu, but it is the operating system in my workplace and was interested in learning more about it. I work for the internet archive (archive.org) digitizing books. So, hello to everyone!
    Welcome to the community! Glad to hear ubuntu in the workplace and for such a large and well known organization.

    If you'd like to come meet some other ubuntu advocates in the Boston area, we're having our monthly meeting to discuss the ongoings of the LoCo team and such.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Massachusett...tes/2009-02-26

    Also, every Tuesday night we have classes to teach the community how to use ubuntu and computers in general.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Massachusett...hEndTechCenter

    Hope to see you in the future and again, welcome to the community!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by Therion View Post
    Do you mean to say that Ubuntu is the OS of choice for people who work at archive dot org?! That would be pretty incredible *in my book (ha!).

    And I think archive dot org just awesome by the way. I would be proud to be part of such an incredibly important endeavor.






    *I'm going to go ahead and apologize for that now.
    I'm not sure if all the scanning centers use ubuntu, but this particular one does. Yeah, I love the archive! the job is a bit tedious, but overall pretty nice. I get to handle a lot of rare books that don't really get to see the light of day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    3

    Re: New to ubuntu, in Boston

    Quote Originally Posted by leftyfb View Post
    Welcome to the community! Glad to hear ubuntu in the workplace and for such a large and well known organization.

    If you'd like to come meet some other ubuntu advocates in the Boston area, we're having our monthly meeting to discuss the ongoings of the LoCo team and such.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Massachusett...tes/2009-02-26

    Also, every Tuesday night we have classes to teach the community how to use ubuntu and computers in general.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Massachusett...hEndTechCenter

    Hope to see you in the future and again, welcome to the community!
    Thank you for all the info, that sounds great!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •