Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 297

Thread: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    563
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Quote Originally Posted by n3had View Post
    Hi everyone mencoder wasn't allowing me to continue the installation of mplayer. Everything went fine compiling, building. So i uninstalled the current mencoder version and the installation went fine mplayer is running great

    But now
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    gives this

    Code:
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of devede:
     devede depends on mencoder; however:
      Package mencoder is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing devede (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acidrip:
     acidrip depends on mencoder; however:
      Package mencoder is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing acidrip (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     devede
     acidrip
    when actually mencoder is installed along with mplayer!


    I have never used checkinstall, but I see there's a "Provides" field. I think adding "mencoder" to it could fix the problem.
    Developer of SMPlayer.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Hi rvm,

    Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    I have never used checkinstall, but I see there's a "Provides" field. I think adding "mencoder" to it could fix the problem.
    Thanks for that . Certainly seems to work on my system so I have added it to the guide. Hopefully this will get a solid testing before Jaunty is released, I normally try to stay out of Debian/Ubuntu package management if I can help it at all!

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Hi n3had,

    Quote Originally Posted by n3had View Post
    Hi everyone mencoder wasn't allowing me to continue the installation of mplayer. Everything went fine compiling, building. So i uninstalled the current mencoder version and the installation went fine mplayer is running great

    But now

    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    gives this

    Code:
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of devede:
     devede depends on mencoder; however:
      Package mencoder is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing devede (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acidrip:
     acidrip depends on mencoder; however:
      Package mencoder is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing acidrip (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     devede
     acidrip
    when actually mencoder is installed along with mplayer!
    rvm has suggested a fix which I have incorporated into the checkinstall syntax for MPlayer. If you have time could you test it out and in particular see if devede is happy?

    Thanks for your trouble,

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    124

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Code:
    (Reading database ... 283947 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace mplayer 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu19 (using .../mplayer_3:1.0~svn-1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement mplayer ...
    dpkg: error processing /home/tru3m0sl3m/mplayer/mplayer_3:1.0~svn-1_amd64.deb (--install):
     trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/mencoder', which is also in package mencoder
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     /home/tru3m0sl3m/mplayer/mplayer_3:1.0~svn-1_amd64.deb
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    ~
    (END)
    Exactly what i got before i can bypass this by uninstalling mencoder which creates broken dependencies

    peace
    nehad

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Hi nehad,

    Quote Originally Posted by n3had View Post
    Exactly what i got before i can bypass this by uninstalling mencoder which creates broken dependencies
    Thanks for trying that for me! If you ever do a clean install of Jaunty consider installing the svn MPlayer/Mencoder 1st and this may get around some of these problems. But on your existing system why not just compile MPlayer without MEncoder? Unless you are keen to do some commandline encoding with MEncoder there should be no problems. Your compiling string would then be:

    Code:
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
    --disable-mencoder
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
    --maintainer "$USER" --pkgname mplayer --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn" --backup=no \
    --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --gzman --default 
    $ make clean
    Note I have also edited the Checkinstall syntax. And this should give you access to the full MPlayer program and not disturb the older version of MEncoder that is so entwined in your package structure.

    All the best,

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    563
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    If the "Provides: mencoder" is not enough, maybe adding also "Replaces: mencoder" could work (if checkinstall allows to enter a replaces field).
    Developer of SMPlayer.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Beans
    124

    Smile Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi nehad,



    Thanks for trying that for me! If you ever do a clean install of Jaunty consider installing the svn MPlayer/Mencoder 1st and this may get around some of these problems. But on your existing system why not just compile MPlayer without MEncoder? Unless you are keen to do some commandline encoding with MEncoder there should be no problems. Your compiling string would then be:

    Code:
    $ cd $HOME/mplayer
    $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --codecsdir=/usr/lib/codecs --confdir=/etc/mplayer \
    --disable-mencoder
    $ make
    $ sudo checkinstall -D --install=yes --fstrans=no --pakdir "$HOME/Desktop" \
    --maintainer "$USER" --pkgname mplayer --pkgversion "3:1.0~svn" --backup=no \
    --deldoc=yes --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --gzman --default 
    $ make clean
    Note I have also edited the Checkinstall syntax. And this should give you access to the full MPlayer program and not disturb the older version of MEncoder that is so entwined in your package structure.

    All the best,

    Andrew


    Code:
    checkinstall 1.6.1, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
               This software is released under the GNU GPL.
    
    
    
    *****************************************
    **** Debian package creation selected ***
    *****************************************
    
    This package will be built according to these values: 
    
    0 -  Maintainer: [ tru3m0sl3m ]
    1 -  Summary: [ Package created with checkinstall 1.6.1 ]
    2 -  Name:    [ mplayer ]
    3 -  Version: [ 3:1.0~svn ]
    4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
    5 -  License: [ GPL ]
    6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
    7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
    8 -  Source location: [ mplayer ]
    9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
    10 - Requires: [  ]
    11 - Provides: [ mplayer ]
    
    Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue: 
    
    Installing with make...Installing with install...
    
    ========================= Installation results ===========================
    install -d /usr/bin /etc/mplayer /usr/lib
    install -m 755 -s mplayer /usr/bin
    install -d /usr/share/man/man1
    install -m 644 DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1 /usr/share/man/man1/
    
    ======================== Installation successful ==========================
    
    Copying documentation directory...
    ./
    ./LICENSE
    ./AUTHORS
    ./README
    ./Changelog
    grep: /var/tmp/tmp.xolSbZmvcr/newfile: No such file or directory
    
    Copying files to the temporary directory...OK
    
    Stripping ELF binaries and libraries...OK
    
    Compressing man pages...OK
    
    Building file list...OK
    
    Building Debian package...OK
    
    Installing Debian package...OK
    
    Transferring package to /home/tru3m0sl3m/Desktop...OK
    
    Erasing temporary files...OK
    
    Deleting temp dir...OK
    
    
    **********************************************************************
    
     Done. The new package has been installed and saved to
    
     /home/tru3m0sl3m/Desktop/mplayer_3:1.0~svn-1_amd64.deb
    
     You can remove it from your system anytime using: 
    
          dpkg -r mplayer
    
    **********************************************************************

    I've got one more query yesterday after uninstalling mencoder and installing the latest build i had copied /usr/bin/mencoder to desktop and reverted back to mplayer/mencoder of repo and then i copied mencoder(of this build) back to /usr/bin/ ...

    NO Broken dependencies and latest mencoder (I forgot to do the same with mplayer) but by this weird workaround (newbie here) would i have the latest builds??

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Hi rvm,

    Quote Originally Posted by rvm4000 View Post
    If the "Provides: mencoder" is not enough, maybe adding also "Replaces: mencoder" could work (if checkinstall allows to enter a replaces field).
    I could not see this option in checkinstall unfortunately but I could certainly see the limits of checkinstall approaching. Perhaps it would be better for n3had to utilise your PPA where I suspect your MPlayer deb would fit in better with the Ubuntu package management?

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Beans
    6,932

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    Hi n3had,

    Quote Originally Posted by n3had View Post
    I've got one more query yesterday after uninstalling mencoder and installing the latest build i had copied /usr/bin/mencoder to desktop and reverted back to mplayer/mencoder of repo and then i copied mencoder(of this build) back to /usr/bin/ ...

    NO Broken dependencies and latest mencoder (I forgot to do the same with mplayer) but by this weird workaround (newbie here) would i have the latest builds??
    I am afraid that in installing the svn MPlayer + showing considerable athleticism in attempting to bypass the Ubuntu package management + running an alpha release of a Linux distro you are officially no longer a n00b .

    But as I have mentioned in a previous post I forgot that rvm has a nice PPA with a 'proper' Debian installataion which while considerably less exciting than rolling your own MPlayer should get around the problem in a less hackish way.

    Which brings me back to my own doubts about the future of this guide, particularly when I see with some horror the intricacies of a package management system, a system that has no equivalent in my primary distro, and when I see that rvm has a better arrangement in place anyway. But looks like the Jaunty version is in place anyway which leave me to ruminate darkly about the need for this guide in Ubuntu for another few months....

    Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    /dev/null/
    Beans
    1,589

    Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

    I hope you keep at it mate. Reasons to compile your own:

    1. No waiting to get the latest svn build
    2. Having complete control of the ./configure - such as ensuring vdpau output is compiled in
    3. The march=native and mtune=native compiler flags provides the best possible performance for your specific system rather than a dumbed down generic compile.
    4. It has geek cred
    He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •