Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Beans

Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Andrew, I am about to embark on this install but my system is far from a 'new' install.
    You say "I would also strongly advise that all older versions of x264 are removed..."

How do I do this?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Richard

Beans

Hi macey,

Quote Originally Posted by macey View Post
    You say "I would also strongly advise that all older versions of x264 are removed..."
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove x264 libx264-dev
    will accomplish this. I will admit however that I have been re-thinking this strategy of late as the x264 libraries are only used by MEncoder for h264 conversion, MPlayer has its own decoder in libavcodec. So an alternative, if you do not wish to use Mencoder at all is to omit all the x264 compilation and alter the configure string to:

Code:
    ./configure --disable-x264 --disable-mencoder
    and the rest of the guide holds true although you will be loading a few dev files of use only to MEncoder. And dare I say it an even easier option is to go with the current flow in Ubuntu thinking and use the excellent PPA for MPlayer put together by RVM, although you miss out on all the fun or rolling your own .

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just tried upgrading my x264 and now I'm getting this error:

/usr/local/bin/mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.67: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    At this time it is possible to run windows viruses with wine. They do not run well yet....http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...30222&from=rss

Beans

Hi gardara,

Quote Originally Posted by gardara View Post
    Just tried upgrading my x264 and now I'm getting this error:

/usr/local/bin/mplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libx264.so.67: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I suspect if you run the following search you will get a similar result to me:

Code:
    sudo find /usr -name 'libx264.so.*'
    /usr/lib/libx264.so.75
    and you will note that MPlayer is looking for an older version, presumably the one you had on your system when you compiled MPlayer. The easiest way to rectiy this problem is to go to your MPlayer source files and run:

Code:
    svn up
    and subsequently recompile. This should rectify the problem...

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi gardara,

I suspect if you run the following search you will get a similar result to me:

Code:
    sudo find /usr -name 'libx264.so.*'
    /usr/lib/libx264.so.75
    and you will note that MPlayer is looking for an older version, presumably the one you had on your system when you compiled MPlayer. The easiest way to rectiy this problem is to go to your MPlayer source files and run:

Code:
    svn up
    and subsequently recompile. This should rectify the problem...

Andrew

That seems to have fixed the problem, cheers!

But however updating x264 and mplayer hasn't fixed my problem like I hoped it would.
    The thing is that I recently got a bigger monitor (24") and when I play x264 .mkv files I keep getting some really annyoing horizontal lines in the picture. I think they were there on the smaller monitor but I just didn't notice them.
    It's usually a single line in the middle or close to the top or bottom of the video. And mostly occurs in action scenes.
    I have not been able to capture a screenshot of this, because when I pause the picture the line disappears.

This does not happen with totem, but happens with smplayer+mplayer.

Any ideas?
    At this time it is possible to run windows viruses with wine. They do not run well yet....http://os.newsforge.com/article.pl?s...30222&from=rss

Beans

Hi gardara,

Quote Originally Posted by gardara View Post
    That seems to have fixed the problem, cheers!
    Excellent news

The thing is that I recently got a bigger monitor (24") and when I play x264 .mkv files I keep getting some really annyoing horizontal lines in the picture. I think they were there on the smaller monitor but I just didn't notice them.
    It's usually a single line in the middle or close to the top or bottom of the video. And mostly occurs in action scenes.
    Unfortunately x264 is an encoder not a decoder and thus will have no effect on playback.

I have not been able to capture a screenshot of this, because when I pause the picture the line disappears.
    There is a way to capture your screen using MPlayer. Simply run your file as:

Code:
    mplayer -vf screenshot myfile.mkv
    and press the 's' key at the appropriate time and MPlayer saves a single screenshot in your working directory.

This does not happen with totem, but happens with smplayer+mplayer.
    Now this I am not so sure about. Certainly if you have an NVidia card you should be using vdpau which is unfortunately something I have no experience with. Otherwise yoou could experiment with the video out settings. Available settings can be seen:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ mplayer -vo help
    MPlayer SVN-r29665-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
    Available video output drivers:
    	xv	X11/Xv
    	x11	X11 ( XImage/Shm )
    	xover	General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
    	gl	X11 (OpenGL)
    	gl2	X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
    	dga	DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
    	sdl	SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
    	fbdev	Framebuffer Device
    	fbdev2	Framebuffer Device
    	svga	SVGAlib
    	aa	AAlib
    	caca	libcaca
    	v4l2	V4L2 MPEG Video Decoder Output
    	xvidix	X11 (VIDIX)
    	cvidix	console VIDIX
    	null	Null video output
    	mpegpes	MPEG-PES to DVB card
    	yuv4mpeg	yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
    	png	PNG file
    	jpeg	JPEG file
    	gif89a	animated GIF output
    	tga	Targa output
    	pnm	PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
    	md5sum	md5sum of each frame
    You would then try for example:
    Code:
    mplayer -vo x11 myfile.mkv
    And experiment a little with some of the others. Otherwise I am afraid I am a little lost for ideas .

All the best,

Andrew

Beans

@ gardara
    What you may want to try is to enable vsync wherever possible.

I have nvidia and while it was only slight 'tearing', while watching Quantum of Solace finally couldn't ignore it anymore. (the chase scene in chapter3 is a good test scene.

I took the 'kitchen sink' approach, so for a nvidia card

Enabled Sync to VBlank for both x server xvideo and opengl in nvidia setting (opened nvidia settings as root though I don't think that matters

In compiz (Advanced Desktop Effects Settings) under the General settings -> Display settings also enabled Sync to VBlank

Under the 'general tab unchecked the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" box

Now that scene plays flawlessly ( as does all other video

Beans

In part of a last minute tidy-up of this guide I have added in details for the new libopencore-amr libraries which appear to have stabilised a little. I shall add in the details of generating the html docs shortly and then finally this guide will be complete, ready to be abandoned by all those rushing to Karmic .

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    @ gardara
    What you may want to try is to enable vsync wherever possible.

I have nvidia and while it was only slight 'tearing', while watching Quantum of Solace finally couldn't ignore it anymore. (the chase scene in chapter3 is a good test scene.

I took the 'kitchen sink' approach, so for a nvidia card

Enabled Sync to VBlank for both x server xvideo and opengl in nvidia setting (opened nvidia settings as root though I don't think that matters

In compiz (Advanced Desktop Effects Settings) under the General settings -> Display settings also enabled Sync to VBlank

Under the 'general tab unchecked the "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" box

Now that scene plays flawlessly ( as does all other video
    Thanks for the reply.

I enabled Sync to VBlank for everything I could in nvidia-settings.

But I couldn't do anything under Display settings, it just asked me to use the nvidia tool.

This hasn't changed anything and I have found out that this happens both with x264 and xvid videos, and happens in totem too (not like I thought).

I have tried vdpau, xv and opengl video outputs and it happens in all of them.

So it seems like it's my graphics card fault but not mplayer's. I'm sorry if I'm going off topic here but if anyone else has been experiencing this and has some more tips, I'd be glad to hear about them.

Btw, I'm using nvidia driver 190.32 and have a 512mb geforce 9500m GS

Beans

Sorry it didn't help you though not understanding this
    But I couldn't do anything under Display settings, it just asked me to use the nvidia tool.
    Are you looking in CompizConfig Settings Manager? ( in the general options for the unredirect and general options -> display for the sync

Otherwise noticed this thread though what it's related to has never been an issue here with 2 desktops and a laptop all with nvidia ( though I always open nvidia settings as root whether needed or not
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-settings

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1266564

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast