Thread: Formatting a Flash Drive

Beans

Formatting a Flash Drive

My flash drive recently got insanely messed up, and all of my things were deleted on it, which happened at an immensely inconvenient time because the stories for my newspaper were due the same day it happened.

Anyway, my flash drive still shows the same amount of space used on it, and I just wanna format it completely, and put everything back on there again.

Asking for anything that would easily format my flash drive effectively and completely.

Also, I know this isn't the forum for it, but does anyone know of any portable 'safely remove' applications for flash drives? The reason my things were deleted was due to the fact that my school's computers do not all systray icons to be shown, therefore I can't safely remove my flash drive. And I do not want this to happen again.

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Formatting a Flash Drive

Just use Gparted to format it FAT32
    as far as removing, it should have the icon but you can see if you right click on it and see if you have eject
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

as far as removing, it should have the icon but you can see if you right click on it and see if you have eject
    Nah, I'm not needing the program for Linux. I need it for the Windows-based computers at school.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You can download the live disk Gparted or one or two others and burn them to a disk and put them into almost any windows computer and boot from the disk and use it to format your drive. I have no idea if windows has programs that format drives. Any Ubuntu live disk will do it also but it is a much bigger download,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

From Windows, right-click the drive in My Computer, and select Format.
    Choose Fat32, quick format
    done

And I believe even in Window, you can right-click a drive and select "eject" or similar...

Beans

Thanks a lot guys, I've formatted it.