Thread: Toggle Workspaces

Beans

Toggle Workspaces

Is it possible to toggle workspaces with a keyboard shortcut in ubuntu? Right now I can shift one left, or shift one right. Once I get to the end of the line though it doesn't wrap around to the other side, it just stops. Is there any way to achieve what I am looking for?

Beans

Re: Toggle Workspaces

You want to continue past two, to get back to one?

Interestingly, this appears to be a problem for gnome. XFCE and KDE do it, as does windowmaker.

Look here:

http://reachbeyondgrasp.blogspot.com...-in-gnome.html

The best way to go about doing this is to enable Compiz-Fusion and the Advanced Desktop Effects. You can check out my fairly straightforward guide HERE. After installing the proper packages, go to the Compiz-Config Settings Manager and there are several options available under desktop. If you dont want the desktop cube, I would suggest enabling the Expo plugin.

Beans

I don't use compiz, but keep in mind that some users complain that it interferes with movies and some video. It's also not the best solution for old systems, or those with less than optimal video cards.

If you're unhappy with compiz, post back for other solutions.

Beans

Yes I want to keep going past two to get to one.

I would rather not enable advanced desktop effects given the limited system resources on my laptop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

this is actually one of the reasons why I switched recently from gnome to KDE. I couldn`t figure out how to switch between desktops without using arrows and nobody was able to help me. Strange that such advanced desktop as gnome definitely is doesn`t have this funcionality...

Beans

How do you do so in kde without using the arrows?

In gnome, also, you can put the cursor on the edge of the screen, and using the scroll wheel change between them. I discovered this feature by accident.

It does seem strange that this is not possible in gnome. I used it all the time in wmaker.

I guess this is an issue with the desktop manager, not the window manager, so you could try running xfce or something else inside of gnome. that would solve it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In KDE you just Ctrl+F1 (f2,f3 etc.)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Compaq HP Proliant 5500 quad 550MHZ 500MB cache 1.5GB Ram
    Shes my baby but doesn't she make a Load of noise!!!
    www.houseofhawkins.com - My development site with bits and bobs on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you using Compiz on normal or special mode (Karmic or Intrepid) you will not able to use wmctrl to use switch the workspaces the described way (you will only have one workspace). I have described the way to accomplish that here

http://wiki.impressive-media.de/doc/...ctivated-gnome