Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Design advice?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Web Design advice?

I've more recently been introduced to Flash at my college (have a couple classes on it and just finishing up the first one) and am loving it. And I want to design and produce websites for a living? What does the future look like for Flash? Is there another (possibly better) way that is Linux, mac & windows friendly to create Flash/Flash-like websites? And aside from HTML & CSS what should be trying to study and in what order?
    Last edited by MasterNetra; February 25th, 2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans

Smile Re: Web Design advice?

JavaScript is a great place to start, check out libraries like jquery, prototype/scriptaculous, mootools etc.

Then look into processing.js it uses the canvas element to do pretty sweet stuff.

Plus, most browsers are gaining native svg support and it's on the roadmap for inkscape (inkscape.org) to support svg animation.

In (web designer with 13+ years exp) my opinion it's going to boil down to canvas or svg in the long run...

Just try to keep the "semantic web" in mind no matter what tool you choose.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Web Design advice?

I've been hearing things regarding Ruby on Rails or something another over Javascript...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

like Danboy says I would recomend Javascript.

Less of a Hassle.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

mkay lets see... html > CSS > Javascript..yes? no? maybe?

Beans

Yes, if you know your XHTML/CSS/Javascript and learn how to write standards based pages with these tools, you have your basics very right. If you manage these, you can start to delve into some other technologies which speed things up a bit or add animation ( like flash ).

Javascript is still pretty safe. Adobe's newer Flex and Air format provides a Flash delivery and API but let's authors link in .Net, Java and standard Flash work seamlessly. Flash is here to stay.

For pure SEO considerations, there are still liabilities with creating all Flash sites. While Google just recently enabled the ability to "look into" flash files, SEO is really driven around HTML/CSS conventions.

Intelligently designed sites that are hybrid between HTML/CSS and Flash/Flex are the strongest suite.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you want to become a serious designer for Web, you need to use Photoshop and Flash (at least Flash 8 will run well under wine). For vector, Inkscape is fine. Then, you need to master a CMS. At least WordPress. A more serious CMS, like Joomla or Drupal is better, but can wait till after you master Wordpress. Javascript is a must, but don't concentrate on it over the more basic things - such as mentioned above. The truth is, to do the small-business web sites, you don't need Javascript. Design in Photoshop, then code a theme for a CMS, and here's your happy client. Help fill pages if needed. I do Drupal. My web site is www.strider.org.ua.

I strongly disagree with people who say that you should try to use Gimp instead of Photoshop. Having been in this business for a significant amount of time now, I believe this is incompetent. But if you like "No to paid apps" approach, you should check out a thread here - Web design with GIMP, INKSCAPE, WordPress, and Bluefish. IMHO, I don't like any of these. I vote for Photoshop, Drupal, and Geany or Aptana Studio.
    Last edited by alex.rayu; February 25th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sure Gimp could be used to design layouts, but why give up the ease and elegance of using Photoshop! Completely opinion...

I use Photoshop to design layouts, buttons, banners, etc. and code using either ASP.NET in Windows or the Django framework in Linux. In my opinion, web "design" seems to be the money maker and web "development" is more of the background job when it comes to business seeking people to do websites. Truth is, plenty of tools have made web dev much easier these days, so design is much more important.

Find the tools that are right for you. Goodluck
    www.runtime-era.com - Blog About My Journey as a Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    I've been hearing things regarding Ruby on Rails or something another over Javascript...
    I am a Ruby on Rails web designer and I use both JavaScript and Flash. People can debate oer JavaScript vs Flash forever, both have pros and cons. Learn both, use the one you like. JavaScript is free though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast