Thread: request for clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

request for clarification

In a recent post jdong wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Well I would like to point out that "trolling" is a colloquialism labeling his actions, and that it is not the same thing as calling someone an idiot, which is more or less just a direct insult on their intelligence.
    By analogy, would it also be true
    that "not being truthful" and "being disingenuous" is a characterization of [a person's] action, and that it is not the same thing as calling someone a liar, which is more or less just a direct insult on their character?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: request for clarification

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    In a recent post jdong wrote:
    Well I would like to point out that "trolling" is a colloquialism labeling his actions, and that it is not the same thing as calling someone an idiot, which is more or less just a direct insult on their intelligence.
    By analogy, would it also be true
    that "not being truthful" and "being disingenuous" is a characterization of [a person's] action, and that it is not the same thing as calling someone a liar, which is more or less just a direct insult on their character?
    I had a long response typed up, but in retrospect, I don't think this is a conversation that is likely to be profitable or helpful in he long run.

The argument from this point comes down to semantics and niggly bits and is most likely the result of frustration with other things. If you want to talk about specific issues, please start a thread about those issues.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!