Thread: FSCK messed up my NTFS partition, how do I get it back?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

FSCK messed up my NTFS partition, how do I get it back?

I tried to boot a new linux partition, a copy of my current one, and at start up it asked to do a maintenance shell. So I ran fsck, but after that my ntfs partition is unreadable(empty).

Probably fsck modified a index or something like that... When I open gparted I can read the following:

Warning:
    Failed to start up volume: Invalid argument.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda3':Invalid argument.
    The device '/dev/sda3' doesn't have a valid NTFS.
    How can I recover from this?

Beans

Re: FSCK messed up my NTFS partition, how do I get it back?

How about first posting:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    I would recommend trying testdisk to see if it can fix the NTFS partition; how about downloading the testdisk-6.10.linux26.tar.bz2 package to your desktop, and then do:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    tar xvf testdisk-6.10.linux26.tar.bz2
    sudo testdisk-6.10/linux/testdisk_static /dev/sda3
    If your NTFS partition is not sda3, be sure to change that in the above command. So after starting testdisk with the above command, choose "No Log", select HDD and "Proceed", "None", "Analyze", "Quick search", then "p" to get a directory listing of the sda3 partition. Does the directory listing successfully show you what is on that partition, or does it return an error?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: FSCK messed up my NTFS partition, how do I get it back?

Thanks, I used testdisk and it found my old partition. However, after overwriting the partition table, /dev/sda3 still displays de same error.

This is very strange because I was able to copy all my data to a external HDD through testdisk, so now I'm safe, but I can not restore the partition as it was.