Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung NC20

Beans

Re: Samsung NC20

I tried the "2d only" drivers and they seem to work better than the latest! You can use Hwcursor and compiz runs better (they should ben just for 2d... boh!). The only problem is that i cant use 1280x800 res!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi All,

I followed the instructions here on both the Intrepid live CD and the Jaunty beta live CD. Strangely the most recent build of the gutsy live cd works perfectly

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a working X display. When I follow the Openchrome installation instructions (compiling from svn) X will start but only in what looks like a test pattern.

The screen changes colour and then displays various gradient patterns only. I can hear the Ubuntu start-up sound so I know GDM has managed to start.

Any ideas?

Beans

I finally managed to install ubuntu on my nc20 using the instructions of thawn. Thanks!

There are a couple of things i'd like to share with you:
    1) toggle bluetooth on/off
    2) sound issue
    3) compiz not working correctly

1)
    I found it annoying that i had no option to turn of the bluetooth radio to save battery life. This script is a descent work around.
    #!/bin/bash
    if ps -A | grep -c bluetoothd
    then
    gksudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth stop
    sudo hciconfig hci0 down
    sudo rmmod bluetooth
    else
    sudo modprobe bluetooth reset=1
    gksudo /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
    fi

you could save it in /usr/bin and then create a launcher, on your desktop for instance.

2)
    In contrary to experiences of others my sound didn't seem to work at first. I fixed it by selecting the top 3 default mixer tracks in system->preferences->sound

3)
    It turns out a lot of the compiz features aren't working such as Scale (like expose on a mac). I figured i had to select Normal or Extra in system->preferences->appearance - visual effects, but this is not possible. It says desktop effects could not be enabled. Does anyone know how to fix this? I really really like the Scale functionality. (i'm using the via drivers btw)

Beans
    Distro

When I followed thawn's instructions to install the binary via driver I discovered that the resolution of the panel was 1024*768 which had been stretched to the size of the LCD panel.

This was obvious when I added the "center" option to the device section in xorg.conf. Are you sure that you are getting the full 1280x800 resolution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harenarius View Post
    I finally managed to install ubuntu on my nc20 using the instructions of thawn. Thanks!

3)
    It turns out a lot of the compiz features aren't working such as Scale (like expose on a mac). I figured i had to select Normal or Extra in system->preferences->appearance - visual effects, but this is not possible. It says desktop effects could not be enabled. Does anyone know how to fix this? I really really like the Scale functionality. (i'm using the via drivers btw)
    Without "normal" effects you dont have compiz running at all... So you were trying to use compiz effects without compiz
    Just edit /usr/bin/compiz and add "via" in the withelist section and you can start compiz (it will not run smooth and you will get mouse artifacts, i warn you)

Beans

ah that is it indeed, thx. however you are right, it is a big disappointment and not useable. maybe i'll find another way to get the "expose" functionality. Will let u know when i do.

Do you happen to know how to get two finger scroll and two finger right click to work? I know that the hardware supports it one way or another because under windows it works perfectly with http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/. I tried adding Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "true" to my xorg.conf. And indeed synclient -l gives (among others) VertTwoFingerScroll=1. But synclient -m 100 never shows more then 1 finger on the touchpad (5th collumn). I'm clueless...

Beans
    Distro

Did you guys get the full 1280*800 resolution with the openchrome driver? No matter what I did I got the 1024*786 stretched which made the gui look distinctly fuzzy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Carroll View Post
    Did you guys get the full 1280*800 resolution with the openchrome driver? No matter what I did I got the 1024*786 stretched which made the gui look distinctly fuzzy.
    I do get the full 1280*800 resolution. I followed this guide and compiled the opechrome drivers from source.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome

And this is my xorg.conf
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

# commented out by update-manager, HAL is now used
    Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
    	Driver		"kbd"
    	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
    	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
    	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
    	Driver		"mouse"
    	Option		"CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    	Driver		"synaptics"
    	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
    	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
    	Option		"Protocol"		"auto-dev"
    	Option		"HorizEdgeScroll"	"0"
    	Option		"SHMConfig"		"true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"openchrome"
    	Option		"ActiveDevice" "LCD,CRT"
    	Option		"NoDDCValue" "true"
    #	Option		"XaaNoImageWriteRect" "true"
    	Option		"SWCursor"	"true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    	Option		"PreferredMode" "1280x800"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth		24
    		Modes		"1280x800"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    EndSection
    note:
    You won't need the "XaaNoImageWriteRect" "true" entry anymore, if you use the latest drivers.
    You may want to change "XkbLayout" "de" to your keyboard layout.
    I only tested the openchrome drivers on Intrepid Ibex.
    Last edited by Tobis87; April 10th, 2009 at 03:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Tobis87,

Many thanks for posting your xorg conf, I can now get the full 1280*800 resolution and it looks great!

I am running Jaunty beta myself and the svn trunk was at rev. 753 when I built the drivers. I think it might have been 752 the last time I tried.

In any case I now have great 2D performance Once again, many thanks for your help.

Edit: There was a new version from the 07/Apr/09 so perhaps this may have helped too

r743 | schlobinux | 2009-04-07 22:08:45 +0100 (Tue, 07 Apr 2009) | 1 line

don't try to enable XvMC on VX800
    Last edited by Barry Carroll; April 10th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Carroll View Post
    Hi Tobis87,

Many thanks for posting your xorg conf, I can now get the full 1280*800 resolution and it looks great!

I am running Jaunty beta myself and the svn trunk was at rev. 753 when I built the drivers. I think it might have been 752 the last time I tried.

In any case I now have great 2D performance Once again, many thanks for your help.

Edit: There was a new version from the 07/Apr/09 so perhaps this may have helped too
    You have better performance than with rev 752?

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast