Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Proxy problems at Uni

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbay90 View Post
    Also i am new to linux and dont fully understand how i would use
    Code:
    sudo su
    in the terminal to install a java applet that automatically (after java asks my permision to run it) pops up when you visit a website.
    Well, in Linux networking is traditionally handled by root. Since it seems that netguard needs to manipulate network configuration settings, it needs root access when installed.

In my opinion, this is a dangerous situation for Linux users as it's a potential inroad for a rootkit because Java applets are rarely "water tight".

Beans

Was just browsing the net and came across this thread, same thing happens to me when trying to acess the UWS site, i login with my uws credentials then netdirect pops open, i click ok to the root password then net direct closes, How did u get it working using ubuntu? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by johnny87au View Post
    Was just browsing the net and came across this thread, same thing happens to me when trying to acess the UWS site, i login with my uws credentials then netdirect pops open, i click ok to the root password then net direct closes, How did u get it working using ubuntu? Thanks
    Since this thread is more than 2 years old, the OP has probably moved on. Your best bet is to start a new thread of your own.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12