Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: End of road for Rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: End of road for Rhythmbox

I am also sad to hear this news. I love Rhythmbox! I even switched from amarok to rhythmbox after my music library got to big that amarok was slow to find my searches. Rhythmbox has been speedy even after 60 gigs of music. I will be sad to see it go. I have not tried Banshee or Exaile. I hope they work well with large libraries.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    Exaile is based on python
    So?

Not arguing, just asking.

Beans

Python can be slow and is more dependancies that needed to be run on the PC. Theres nothing *bad* about it, its just programs like Rhythmbox which is written in C are a lot more efficent and run faster with less memory

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b3n87 View Post
    Python can be slow and is more dependancies that needed to be run on the PC. Theres nothing *bad* about it, its just programs like Rhythmbox which is written in C are a lot more efficent and run faster with less memory
    More efficient? Probably. A lot more efficient? I don't know.

Exaile is mostly what, GTK and GStreamer? For both the Python versions are actually bindings to C libraries.

Good programming can probably ensure that the overhead is not very large.

Beans

Rhythmbox is one of the only 3 media players I can stand using on Linux. My top 3:
    3. Rhythmbox
    2. Amarok
    1. Exaile

Sad to see it go I guess, but Exaile is good for GTK users and of course there's still Amarok (I'll stick with 1.4 until 2.x gets good. Sometimes it feels like it has no hope for it to be good. Then I think back and that's exactly the way I thought when KDE 4.0 came out. Now look, I'm using KDE 4.2 full time on my desktop, so Amarok 2 has amazing potential.) Banshee never worked right for me though. The reason Exaile is #1 is because it allows me to put media buttons in the system tray, genious! I can use hotkeys, but often the buttons are more convinient (I use both regularly).
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Not going to miss it, it was always unstable to me and the pace at which features are added can best be described as glacial. It e.g. still does not do proper portable player syncronization.

I am hoping this will spell wider adoption of Banshee, it is a great player with a fast paced development that quickly gets us fixes, features and bling.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    Not going to miss it, it was always unstable to me and the pace at which features are added can best be described as glacial. It e.g. still does not do proper portable player syncronization.

I am hoping this will spell wider adoption of Banshee, it is a great player with a fast paced development that quickly gets us fixes, features and bling.
    I'd feel much better about a formal s/rhythmbox/banshee/ proposal for the desktop team if Banshee had true parity with ALL RB features - for example, it has no daap server (only client), and no online store

It's the player app I use, but changing default app needs SERIOUS thought
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    I'd feel much better about a formal s/rhythmbox/banshee/ proposal for the desktop team if Banshee had true parity with ALL RB features - for example, it has no daap server (only client), and no online store

It's the player app I use, but changing default app needs SERIOUS thought
    On the other hand, Banshee will quickly catch up and it has already surpassed Rhythmbox on so many fronts. 100% regression free upgrades are nearly impossible.

I think Scott just demoed a full DAAP server for banshee and I have seen the first work being done on a magnatune pluigin. I have no idea where those are in terms of development though.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

Guys, this is open source. It's not dead, just changing hands.

Relax.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hoboken View Post
    Guys, this is open source. It's not dead, just changing hands.

Relax.
    Perhaps. Perhaps it might even be a good thing - new blood, fresh excitement, faster development, etc

But it unavoidably causes people to reassess their reliance on a project with apparently no active upstream development
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast