Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Gracefully Shutdown VirtualBox VMs on Reboot or Shutdown of Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Gracefully Shutdown VirtualBox VMs on Reboot or Shutdown of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Did it save the state of the VM at least?

Also where did you put the scripts? They are meant to be run from the home directory, but I could modify them to run from anywhere without much difficulty.
    I could not tell. When the Virtual machine starts it automatically starts my WIndows7, within which I have all the apps I want to start at startup in the startup folder, so they load automatically anyway.

I saved it here. Would not allow me to save in home itself, so assumed thatw as where you wanted it. Bad boy?
    /home/server/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    I could not tell. When the Virtual machine starts it automatically starts my WIndows7, within which I have all the apps I want to start at startup in the startup folder, so they load automatically anyway.

I saved it here. Would not allow me to save in home itself, so assumed thatw as where you wanted it. Bad boy?
    /home/server/
    That's the right place to put it, since it goes in the user's home directory.

If the script is working, it should say something like "restoring machine state" and everything will be exactly the way you left it before you did the reboot.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

That's the right place to put it, since it goes in the user's home directory.

If the script is working, it should say something like "restoring machine state" and everything will be exactly the way you left it before you did the reboot.
    That's, but no it did not come up with any messages, certainly not "restoring machine state".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Try running the vmstartgui.sh script in a terminal and post the output. I tested it with virtualbox-ose but it should work with the non-free edition, as they startvms the same way.

Beans

Try running the vmstartgui.sh script in a terminal and post the output. I tested it with virtualbox-ose but it should work with the non-free edition, as they startvms the same way.
    It just made the screen flicker...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jonners59 View Post
    It just made the screen flicker...
    Ok. When you open VirtualBox, does it say "saved" under status?
    Last edited by CharlesA; January 22nd, 2011 at 02:50 AM.

Beans

No, sorry....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

@ Jonners59

Are you still stuck?
    No longer participating......

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jose Catre-Vandis View Post
    @ Jonners59

Are you still stuck?
    Jose
    Thank you.... I am having a nightmare actually. The DNLA issue I have out has still not been reolved (a different thread) and now the VM is behaving like a pig, or at least the OS/App I run in it... I am at the stage where something is going to fly out the window soon!

I am off to Italy tomorrow at 4AM to pick up and bring back the mother-in-law, so will not be doing anything over the next 24hrs. Just had to go out and buy a new printer as our packed up today and I can't print the boarding passes. Just managed to get it working. GGrr

So if you are offering to help, thank you, but please forgive my rudeness, bu not for 48 hrs please

Beans
    Hidden!

No problems. Get in touch when ready either via thread or a pm.
    No longer participating......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast