Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Tweak your ext3 filesystem for a performance boost

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Tweak your ext3 filesystem for a performance boost

running the command with a live cd is correct. sorry that i didn't write it in the previous post since it is hazardous. But good to see that you think or read warnings before pressing continue.

I hope you get to the bottom of your nautilus problems somehow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

cool... works great!
    registered Linux user number 424507. machine number 332124
    Which mindset is right? Mine, of course. People who disagree with me are by definition crazy. - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi:

I have only one question: would this method work on a ext2 drive???
    When I got this this drive it was somehow preformatted in ext2, and I've been using it normally without even noticed it

Greetings.
    Mike

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Longbow View Post
    Hi:

When I got this this drive it was somehow preformatted in ext2, and I've been using it normally without even noticed it

Greetings.
    Mike
    Convert your drive to ext3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBuggie View Post
    running the command with a live cd is correct. sorry that i didn't write it in the previous post since it is hazardous. But good to see that you think or read warnings before pressing continue.

I hope you get to the bottom of your nautilus problems somehow.
    Heh, there's been a lot of explanation getting left out throughout the thread, so I wouldn't feel bad if I were you.

noatime - the atime attribute will not be updated when files are accessed. a time sink more substantial than many people realize; if you want forensic data for after a break-in* then leave it on.

dir_index - huge difference on directories with huge numbers of files. a word of warning - gui burners like serpentine seem to lean on the filesystem for putting tracks in the proper order. i discovered this when I tried copying a cd for my wife to take to school; when she played it, the tracks were in random order. workaround: cdrdao. you do indeed need to have the filesystem unmounted before doing a tune2fs -O dir_index && fsck -D.

I've changed the journaling options before, and back when I did it I was getting a minimal speed boost for a fair amount of headache. I must try it again someday. But to be honest, dir_index was the main thing I needed. ext3 today is vastly superior to ext2--faster, speedy dir access, lower cpu usage; it's getting some of the benefit of reiserfs on a more stable codebase from a more stable developer.

*not that you should rely on anything to be accurate after you've been hacked, so turn it off anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Hi:

Greetings.
    Mike
    This method will not work with ext2 since ext2 is not a journaling filesystem. "noatime" will work since it has nothing to do with journaling.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wink Re: HOWTO: Tweak your ext3 filesystem for a performance boost

That was a great set of tweaks. Thanks.
    SpEcIeS

Keep consuming technology faster.. I am living off of your feces.

Beans

Does this howto also work for Edgy?

...and is it similar to this howto: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...ilesystem_Tips ?
    Last edited by Don_DiZzLe; November 15th, 2006 at 02:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

it works for edgy...it has nothing to do with distro or version...it only depends on which filesystem you use.

Beans

Just to let the cat out of the bag here...

I have been doing alot of reading trying to figure out what kind of fs to use with ubuntu. In short I will be doing a massive benchmark of filesystems sometime in the next month to see what all is what.

But in the mean time from what I gather a journalized filesystem is not so much for data integrity but for speed of recovery after an unclean dismount. That reminds me of this one instructor I had a few years back. He had what appeared to be a laptop with win2000 and fat32 installed. Every morning when he would boot it up it would go to the check disk screen. He would cuss at it and force it to exit before finishing. This went on every day until about 6 months later he showed up to class with no laptop cussing saying that the hard drive had crashed and took all his data with it.

This seems to be the mentality of alot of people behind a computer. Hence the reason a journalized file system came along. Not so much for data integrity but for speedy recoveries after an unclean dismount. We are all smart people here so why not do away with the journal all together if you don't mind a longer wait after an unclean mount:

Code:
    tune2fs -O ^has_hournal /dev/hdXXX
    I have been using ext2 for several years with no data loss. Some of the partitions have seen ALOT. I have never had a problem with data loss. The more I read the more it seems a journal does nothing for data and when corruption and data loss happens on a journalized system it happens on a much larger scale then on a system with no journal. Ironically someone in this thread experienced data loss by simply unplugging their computer once.

I am not trying to start a flame war but I am looking for info and more opinions

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast