Thread: Where to start with coding gnome panel applets?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Where to start with coding gnome panel applets?

Hello, I've been programming through school for 1.5-2 years now but it's always a console application. It's fun but I'd like to expand my horizon. I've learned data structures and am taking an algorithm analysis class right now. Learning how to create actual applications isn't really included in the Computer Science core, though.

Anyway, I'd like to know where I could get started with creating some simple gnome applets. I've tried searching google for "how to create a gnome applet" and others but it always comes up with various gnome applets I can download or one site to create a python applet (I don't know python yet). I'd love to find some sort of developer forum for panel applets or something similar, but I don't really know what keywords to search for.

Could anyone point me in the right direction or provide some tips to get started? What should I search for or where to search? Also, can it be coded in C++ or are they usually C?

Eventually, I hope to move on to learning how to use wxWidgets.

Thanks.

Beans

Re: Where to start with coding gnome panel applets?

Just do a search for 'GTK tutorial'. GTK stands for GNOME Tool Kit and it's used for making GNOME programs.

Beans

gnome panel programming is absurdly badly documented.

i remember a few months back i was going to write an applet in python but could find no tutorials on how to do it or even documentation like an api.

the rest of gtk programming is reasonably documented though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sej7278 View Post
    gnome panel programming is absurdly badly documented.

i remember a few months back i was going to write an applet in python but could find no tutorials on how to do it or even documentation like an api.

the rest of gtk programming is reasonably documented though.
    That's just because you were using Python. Not very many people use Python. The original GTK for C++ is documented well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmwslw View Post
    That's just because you were using Python. Not very many people use Python. The original GTK for C++ is documented well.
    not sure that's correct - almost all the gnome applets that i have here are written in python.

can you give me a link to the c++ docs, i can probably figure it out from there?

cheers.