Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So I'm about to install Arch for the first time

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: So I'm about to install Arch for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    I have to say that I don't get it. I installed it just for fun the other day. If your a programmer that needs every ounce of your resources to run code, I can understand how this would be a great thing. If your an average desktop user, it doesn't make much sense to me. I have a very average p4 rig with 1000.8 MiB RAM, and a vanilla Ubuntu install is extremely responsive. I'll never get the guys that go out, and buy rigs with 3 GiB + RAM, and complain if their system uses over 200 MiB. I have to say for an average user it hardly seems worth the effort.
    It's not for the average user per se. And like all distros, there one for everyone. Arch is for users who want to use their computers, not their OS, if that makes sense. Like me, they prefer their OS to be as less intrusive as possible. It was the main complaint I had about windows. I want my OS to not obstruct my productivity with woo hoo pretty colors and designs, and fifty thousand services I have to turn off because I have no need for them.

Beans

Re: So I'm about to install Arch for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by lswest View Post
    I do believe there's a yaourt-zsh build in AUR, not sure what it offers though.
    That is just for allowing tab complete of package names when using yaourt. It actually is handy (I've been using it), but it wasn't what I was having problems with.

It is that, by default, zsh sets a few options which makes the commands in yaourt go "msg: command not found" or "error: command not found". I have fixed this, but when installing a package from AUR as a dependency to another package from AUR, the dependancy reverts back to those error messages.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789