Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HDMI sound via NVidia geforce 8200M

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking [SOLVED] HDMI sound via NVidia geforce 8200M

well, first off i'd like to start by saying.. i absolutely love linux and ubuntu

i am a noob by all means, i installed ubuntu 6.10 a few years ago on my old laptop but it was so slow, had a crappy graphics card & not enough HD space to share with windoze so i reverted to windoze and all but forgot about linux till i purchased my new laptop 2 days ago - HP G60-249WM.. pretty decent for $600 just in case you're in the market.. 2GHz processor, AMD Athlon X2 dual core processor.. and of course, the NVidia geForce 8200M to make things look pretty on its 16" screen.. anyway, i digress..

after great success getting my USBConnect Mercury aircard and TwinView set up.. i was ready to get some hdmi digital audio going to my HDtv / surround sound system..

i am running a dual boot with Ubuntu 8.10 / vista premium & had no issues getting sound via hdmi in windoze so i knew it worked

many, many hours later.. i finally got it to work..
    for starters, i upgraded to the latest recommended NVidia driver (173) from system / administration / hardware drivers
    unlike a lot of posts that i read regarding this issue, when i ran aplay -l, i would get:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: CONEXANT Analog [CONEXANT Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: Conexant Digital [Conexant Digital]

so i figured that meant it was seeing my hdmi & just identifying it as conexant digital..

after going through the "PulseAudio - Connection Failed: Connection Refused" nightmare & trying every listed fix with no success.. i finally removed it using:

killall pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
    sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio
    sudo rm /etc/X11/Xsession.d/70pulseaudio (wasn't found)
    sudo apt-get install esound
    sudo reboot

after the reboot, pulseaudio was still listed in the drop-downs under sound preferences, so i removed all instances of it from synaptic packet manager as well (i've read you shouldn't do that.. but as this is a fresh install, i figured if i screwed anything up i would just re-install lol)

then i came across this post which turned out to be extremely helpful
    http://www.mandladventures.com/2008/...configuration/
    in particular the part about enabling the IEC958 switch

then i came across some posts that recommended upgrading to Alsa 1.0.18.. but ironically not the one posted here in the ALSA Upgrade Script thread..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...10#post6589810 lol

so i had to figure out how to do it the manual way.. after finding out i had Asa 1.0.17, i downloaded Alsa 1.0.19.tar.bz2 from alsa-project.org & installed it with this script

after extracting it to my documents, i right clicked on the folder & clicked properties to get it's path.. which in my case was
    /home/MYUSERNAME/Documents/Downloads/alsa-driver-1.0.19

so i ran:

cd /home/MYUSERNAME/Documents/Downloads/alsa-driver-1.0.19
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo reboot

after the reboot, i ran alsamixer which interestingly enough still came up as v1.0.17, the difference being that now there was an additional IEC958 graph, labeled IEC958 1.. and underneath it, instead of 00 like the other 2, it was marked MM.. which i remembered means a muted device.

so i went back IEC953 switch menu again by double clicking on the volume control icon & clicking on preferences.. and sure enough, there was a third IEC953 there as well. i put a check in the box next to it, clicked on the swithches tab & put a check mark in it there as well.

then i ran aplay -l & got this!

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    Subdevices: 0/1

i went into system / preferences / sound again and now there was an option for HDA NVidia NVIDIA HDMI (ALSA) which i of course selected for all but sound capture (ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architechture) and Device under default mixer tracks (HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer))

i hit test, and sure enough.. a beautiful beep emanated from my surround sound.. success! i'm jamming to some Bob Marley as i type this lol.. clear, crisp sound.. no volume issues. just figured i would share my experience & save some poor soul hours of torment & frustration.. lol

LINUX effin Rules!!! i got 1 month before classes for my microsoft certification (mcst) so that gives me plenty of time to play with linux.. haha

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] HDMI sound via NVidia geforce 8200M

Hi there!

I've got a Gigabyte GA73PVMS2H Nvidia geforce 7100 and I've just done what you did and now I've got the HDMI displaying but when I hit test I don't have the luck you had, and I don't understand why

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
    francois@francois-desktop:~$

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus83 View Post
    Hi there!

I've got a Gigabyte GA73PVMS2H Nvidia geforce 7100 and I've just done what you did and now I've got the HDMI displaying but when I hit test I don't have the luck you had, and I don't understand why

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC885 Analog [ALC885 Analog]
    card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]
    francois@francois-desktop:~$
    maybe something is still muted.. do your sound settings & volume control look similar to mine from the screenshots i attached?

Beans
    Distro

and for anyone else trying to get this to work, i was able to replicate the same results a few days ago when i re-formatted my hard drive to give linux a bigger partition. it took less than 5 mins to get it working..

you don't even need to remove pulseaudio, just install the latest ALSA drivers, make sure nothing is muted in alsamixer and enable the switches as per the instructions.. and don't forget to change the settings under sound preferences.

Beans

this is what happens when I try and install. (I have geforce 9300ge but the concept should be the same) I follow the steps and this is my output from terminal from when I started until the first error which happens when I run sudo make
    Code:
    harel@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9
    harel@ubuntu:~/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9$ sudo ./configure
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output... a.out
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
    checking for egrep... grep -E
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
    checking for inline... inline
    checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking for current directory... /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9
    checking cross compile... 
    checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build
    checking for directory with kernel build... 
    checking for kernel version... 0.0.0
    checking for GCC version... ./configure: eval: line 3568: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
    ./configure: eval: line 3568: `my_compiler_version=4.3.2-1ubuntu12)'
    Kernel compiler:  Used compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2

*** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
    *** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

*** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building kernel.

checking for built-in ALSA... "no"
    checking for existing ALSA module... "yes"
    checking for Red Hat kernel... "auto"
    checking for Red Hat kernel... "no"
    checking for SUSE kernel... "auto"
    checking for SUSE kernel... "no"
    checking to modify of kernel linux/kmod.h... "no"
    checking for kernel linux/compiler.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/pm.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/spinlock.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/irq.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/threads.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/rwsem.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/gameport.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h... "no"
    checking for kernel linux/highmem.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/workqueue.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/dma-mapping.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel asm/hw_irq.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/device.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/jiffies.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/compat.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/adb.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/cuda.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/pmu.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/moduleparam.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/syscalls.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/firmware.h... "yes"
    checking for exported symbol dump_stack... grep: /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/kernel/ksyms.c: No such file or directory
    "no"
    checking for kernel module symbol versions... "yes"
    checking for PCI support in kernel... "yes"
    checking for I2C driver in kernel... module
    checking for firmware loader... yes
    checking for directory to store kernel modules... /lib/modules/0.0.0/misc
    checking for verbose printk... on
    checking for debug level... none
    checking for processor type... x86_64
    checking for SMP... "yes"
    checking for ISA PnP driver in kernel... yes
    checking for PnP driver in kernel... yes
    checking for Kernel ISA-PnP support... "no"
    checking for Kernel ISA-PnP module support... "no"
    checking for strlcpy... "no"
    checking for snprintf... "no"
    checking for vsnprintf... "no"
    checking for scnprintf... "no"
    checking for sscanf... "no"
    checking for vmalloc_to_page... "no"
    checking for old kmod... "yes"
    checking for PDE... "no"
    checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... "no"
    checking for pci_dev_present... "no"
    checking for msleep... "no"
    checking for tty->count is the atomic type... "no"
    checking for io_remap_pfn_range... "no"
    checking for new io_remap_page_range... "no"
    checking for kcalloc... "no"
    checking for saved_config_space in pci_dev... "no"
    checking for old kill_fasync... "no"
    checking for dma_addr_t... "no"
    checking for MUTEX macros... "no"
    checking for driver version... 1.0.9
    checking for sequencer support... yes
    checking for OSS/Free emulation... yes
    checking for RTC callback support in kernel... "no"
    checking for HPET support... "yes"
    checking for Procfs support... "yes"
    checking for USB support... "yes"
    checking for PC-Speaker hook... "no"
    checking for kernel PCMCIA
    checking for PCMCIA support... "yes"
    checking for PC9800 support in kernel... "no"
    checking for parallel port support... "yes"
    checking for which soundcards to compile driver for... all
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating version
    config.status: creating Makefile.conf
    config.status: creating snddevices
    config.status: creating utils/alsa-driver.spec
    config.status: creating utils/buildrpm
    config.status: creating toplevel.config
    config.status: creating utils/alsasound
    config.status: creating utils/alsasound.posix
    config.status: creating include/config.h
    config.status: include/config.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/config1.h
    config.status: include/config1.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/version.h
    config.status: include/version.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/autoconf-extra.h
    config.status: include/autoconf-extra.h is unchanged
    Hacking autoconf.h...
    harel@ubuntu:~/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9$ sudo make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/acore'
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE=1 -I/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include  -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include -O2 -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-strength-reduce -finline-limit=2000 -D__SMP__ -DCONFIG_SMP -DLINUX -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -DALSA_BUILD -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h  -DKBUILD_BASENAME=hpetimer   -c -o hpetimer.o hpetimer.c
    cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from hpetimer.c:22:
    /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/sound/driver.h:29:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:18,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/cache.h:4,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:7,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/current.h:19,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:15,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/list.h:6,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:9,
                     from /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/adriver.h:45,
                     from /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/sound/driver.h:42,
                     from hpetimer.c:22:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h: In function ‘ratelimit’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: ‘CONFIG_HZ’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: for each function it appears in.)
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/current.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:40: error: ‘CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:40: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/percpu.h:105,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm-generic/percpu.h:22: error: ‘CONFIG_NR_CPUS’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:112: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/prefetch.h:14,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:152:1: warning: "cache_line_size" redefined
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:7,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/cache.h:64:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: In function ‘load_cr3’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:184: error: ‘CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSETUL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:233: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:270: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: In function ‘wbinvd_halt’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:751: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘halt’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:16,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/gfp.h:4,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/kmod.h:22,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:13,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__first_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:233: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_first_bit’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__next_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:239: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_next_bit’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__first_unset_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:257: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_first_zero_bit’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/gfp.h:4,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:75: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:126: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:335: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/smp.h:28,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/topology.h:33,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:683,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/smp.h:161:1: warning: "cpu_physical_id" redefined
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/smp.h:120:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/elf.h:7,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:14,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/elf.h: In function ‘start_ia32_thread’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/elf.h:153: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘load_gs_index’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:21,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/module.h:70:2: error: #error unknown processor family
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/hardirq_64.h:5,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:4,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/hardirq.h:7,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
                     from hpetimer.c:26:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/irq.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/irq.h:179: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/sched.h:55,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:12,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:39:3: error: #error Invalid value of HZ.
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:247:31: error: division by zero in #if
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:247:31: error: division by zero in #if
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/sched.h:77,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h: In function ‘prop_inc_percpu’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h:75: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘local_irq_save’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h:77: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘local_irq_restore’
    In file included from hpetimer.c:28:
    /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/sound/core.h:26:51: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    hpetimer.c: In function ‘snd_hpet_open’:
    hpetimer.c:41: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_register’
    hpetimer.c:44: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_control’
    hpetimer.c: In function ‘snd_hpet_close’:
    hpetimer.c:51: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_unregister’
    make[1]: *** [hpetimer.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/acore'
    make: *** [compile] Error 1
    harel@ubuntu:~/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9$ 
    Last edited by crapple; March 4th, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Code didn't copy right

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by crapple View Post
    this is what happens when I try and install. (I have geforce 9300ge but the concept should be the same) I follow the steps and this is my output from terminal from when I started until the first error which happens when I run sudo make
    Code:
    harel@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9
    harel@ubuntu:~/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9$ sudo ./configure
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for C compiler default output... a.out
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
    checking for egrep... grep -E
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
    checking for inline... inline
    checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking for current directory... /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9
    checking cross compile... 
    checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build
    checking for directory with kernel build... 
    checking for kernel version... 0.0.0
    checking for GCC version... ./configure: eval: line 3568: syntax error near unexpected token `)'
    ./configure: eval: line 3568: `my_compiler_version=4.3.2-1ubuntu12)'
    Kernel compiler:  Used compiler: gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.2-1ubuntu12) 4.3.2

*** NO PREDEFINED KERNEL COMPILER IS DETECTED
    *** Assuming the same compiler is used with the current system compiler.

*** Please make sure that the same compiler version was used for building kernel.

checking for built-in ALSA... "no"
    checking for existing ALSA module... "yes"
    checking for Red Hat kernel... "auto"
    checking for Red Hat kernel... "no"
    checking for SUSE kernel... "auto"
    checking for SUSE kernel... "no"
    checking to modify of kernel linux/kmod.h... "no"
    checking for kernel linux/compiler.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/pm.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/spinlock.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/irq.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/threads.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/rwsem.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/gameport.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h... "no"
    checking for kernel linux/highmem.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/workqueue.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/dma-mapping.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel asm/hw_irq.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/device.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/jiffies.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/compat.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/adb.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/cuda.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/pmu.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/moduleparam.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/syscalls.h... "yes"
    checking for kernel linux/firmware.h... "yes"
    checking for exported symbol dump_stack... grep: /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/kernel/ksyms.c: No such file or directory
    "no"
    checking for kernel module symbol versions... "yes"
    checking for PCI support in kernel... "yes"
    checking for I2C driver in kernel... module
    checking for firmware loader... yes
    checking for directory to store kernel modules... /lib/modules/0.0.0/misc
    checking for verbose printk... on
    checking for debug level... none
    checking for processor type... x86_64
    checking for SMP... "yes"
    checking for ISA PnP driver in kernel... yes
    checking for PnP driver in kernel... yes
    checking for Kernel ISA-PnP support... "no"
    checking for Kernel ISA-PnP module support... "no"
    checking for strlcpy... "no"
    checking for snprintf... "no"
    checking for vsnprintf... "no"
    checking for scnprintf... "no"
    checking for sscanf... "no"
    checking for vmalloc_to_page... "no"
    checking for old kmod... "yes"
    checking for PDE... "no"
    checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... "no"
    checking for pci_dev_present... "no"
    checking for msleep... "no"
    checking for tty->count is the atomic type... "no"
    checking for io_remap_pfn_range... "no"
    checking for new io_remap_page_range... "no"
    checking for kcalloc... "no"
    checking for saved_config_space in pci_dev... "no"
    checking for old kill_fasync... "no"
    checking for dma_addr_t... "no"
    checking for MUTEX macros... "no"
    checking for driver version... 1.0.9
    checking for sequencer support... yes
    checking for OSS/Free emulation... yes
    checking for RTC callback support in kernel... "no"
    checking for HPET support... "yes"
    checking for Procfs support... "yes"
    checking for USB support... "yes"
    checking for PC-Speaker hook... "no"
    checking for kernel PCMCIA
    checking for PCMCIA support... "yes"
    checking for PC9800 support in kernel... "no"
    checking for parallel port support... "yes"
    checking for which soundcards to compile driver for... all
    configure: creating ./config.status
    config.status: creating version
    config.status: creating Makefile.conf
    config.status: creating snddevices
    config.status: creating utils/alsa-driver.spec
    config.status: creating utils/buildrpm
    config.status: creating toplevel.config
    config.status: creating utils/alsasound
    config.status: creating utils/alsasound.posix
    config.status: creating include/config.h
    config.status: include/config.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/config1.h
    config.status: include/config1.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/version.h
    config.status: include/version.h is unchanged
    config.status: creating include/autoconf-extra.h
    config.status: include/autoconf-extra.h is unchanged
    Hacking autoconf.h...
    harel@ubuntu:~/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9$ sudo make
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/acore'
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE=1 -I/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include  -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include -O2 -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -fno-reorder-blocks -fno-strength-reduce -finline-limit=2000 -D__SMP__ -DCONFIG_SMP -DLINUX -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -DALSA_BUILD -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h  -DKBUILD_BASENAME=hpetimer   -c -o hpetimer.o hpetimer.c
    cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from hpetimer.c:22:
    /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/sound/driver.h:29:26: error: linux/config.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:18,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/cache.h:4,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:7,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h: In function ‘ratelimit’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: ‘CONFIG_HZ’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/ratelimit.h:23: error: for each function it appears in.)
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/current.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:40: error: ‘CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:40: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/percpu.h:105,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:19,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm-generic/percpu.h:22: error: ‘CONFIG_NR_CPUS’ undeclared here (not in a function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:112: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:152:1: warning: "cache_line_size" redefined
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/pda.h:7,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/cache.h:64:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: In function ‘load_cr3’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:184: error: ‘CONFIG_PAGE_OFFSETUL’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:233: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:270: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h: In function ‘wbinvd_halt’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/processor.h:751: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘halt’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:16,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__first_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:233: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_first_bit’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__next_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:239: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_next_bit’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h: In function ‘__first_unset_node’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/nodemask.h:257: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘find_first_zero_bit’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/gfp.h:4,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:75: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:126: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:335: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/smp.h:28,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/topology.h:33,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/mmzone.h:683,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/smp.h:161:1: warning: "cpu_physical_id" redefined
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/smp.h:120:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/elf.h:7,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:14,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/elf.h: In function ‘start_ia32_thread’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/elf.h:153: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘load_gs_index’
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/module.h:21,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/module.h:70:2: error: #error unknown processor family
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/hardirq_64.h:5,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/asm/hardirq.h:4,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/hardirq.h:7,
                     from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/interrupt.h:11,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/irq.h: At top level:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/irq.h:179: error: requested alignment is not a constant
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/sched.h:55,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/jiffies.h:39:3: error: #error Invalid value of HZ.
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/sched.h:77,
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h: In function ‘prop_inc_percpu’:
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h:75: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘local_irq_save’
    /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build/include/linux/proportions.h:77: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘local_irq_restore’
    In file included from hpetimer.c:28:
    /home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/include/sound/core.h:26:51: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    hpetimer.c: In function ‘snd_hpet_open’:
    hpetimer.c:41: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_register’
    hpetimer.c:44: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_control’
    hpetimer.c: In function ‘snd_hpet_close’:
    hpetimer.c:51: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘hpet_unregister’
    make[1]: *** [hpetimer.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/harel/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.9/acore'
    make: *** [compile] Error 1
    i would try running this script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...10#post6589810 it should be easier to upgrade ALSA by following these instructions.. i just did it manually because i didn't happen to find that thread until after i had done it

Beans

Wanted to say a big thanks to knlgSeekr for his great tutorial and explanation.

I have an nvidia 8300 with HDMI and using his explanation i was able to get sound working over HDMI.

thanks again.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TNA5000 View Post
    Wanted to say a big thanks to knlgSeekr for his great tutorial and explanation.

I have an nvidia 8300 with HDMI and using his explanation i was able to get sound working over HDMI.

thanks again.
    Glad i was able to help
    I am curious to know if you are getting firefox audio through HDMI as well. for some reason, anything playing through firefox like youtube etc will only play through my pc speakers. i have asked about this annoyance but no one seems to know how to fix it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knlgSeekr View Post
    Glad i was able to help
    I am curious to know if you are getting firefox audio through HDMI as well. for some reason, anything playing through firefox like youtube etc will only play through my pc speakers. i have asked about this annoyance but no one seems to know how to fix it
    Yes, now that i have installed flash, i am indeed not getting any sound out of it. I did notice that i have no sound whatsoever from VLC as well. Other media players work just fine, but not VLC... i do like the stability of pulseaudio (back when i had it on my laptop), so i'm thinking that i might go back to it, if there is a way to pass my audio over my regular rca audio outputs (or maybe even spdif if its not too difficult). The last thing i noticed is that when one audio stream is playing, any other audio stream will not play at the same time (like notifications form pidgin).

Let me know if you are finding anything else about this issue, i'd still prefer to use audio over HDMI.
    Last edited by TNA5000; March 12th, 2009 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: [SOLVED] HDMI sound via NVidia geforce 8200M

for anyone else out there running a similar setup.. i have noticed that certain updates will wipe out my HDMI settings so i have narrowed the fix down, and it works for me every time with no issues.

this is all that needs to be done:

i downloaded Alsa 1.0.19.tar.bz2 from alsa-project.org & installed it with this script

after extracting it to my documents, i right clicked on the folder & clicked properties to get it's path.. which in my case was
    /home/MYUSERNAME/Documents/Downloads/alsa-driver-1.0.19

so i ran:

cd /home/MYUSERNAME/Documents/Downloads/alsa-driver-1.0.19
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo reboot

*it will work even without rebooting*

after the reboot, i ran alsamixer which interestingly enough still came up as v1.0.17, the difference being that now there was an additional IEC958 graph, labeled IEC958 1.. and underneath it, instead of 00 like the other 2, it was marked MM.. which i remembered means a muted device.

so i went back IEC953 switch menu again by double clicking on the volume control icon & clicking on preferences.. and sure enough, there was a third IEC953 there as well. i put a check in the box next to it, clicked on the swithches tab & put a check mark in it there as well.

then i ran aplay -l & got this!

Subdevices: 0/1

i went into system / preferences / sound again and now there was an option for HDA NVidia NVIDIA HDMI (ALSA) which i of course selected for all but sound capture (ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architechture) and Device under default mixer tracks (HDA NVidia (Alsa mixer))

follow this procedure and your HDMI should be recognized & working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast