Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internet documentation for Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Internet documentation for Jaunty

Someone mentioned this, I'm not sure which package is required to enable it.

Scratch that, its network-manager-vpnc
    Last edited by ddrichardson; March 6th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ddrichardson View Post
    Someone mentioned this, I'm not sure which package is required to enable it.

Scratch that, its network-manager-vpnc
    It could be network-manager-vpnc, or network-manager-openvpn, or network-manager-pptp. All of which are vpn's and would depend on the server you are trying to connect with. If the client that your vpn provider... provides... is a cisco client, you most likely will use the vpnc package. I don't know what you would use for the openvpn package, and I don't really think anyone would see an implemented pptp vpn in a professional environment.

I think VPN's are going to be a documentation nightmare, as there are so many different kinds, and each one needs a different setup. However, I have currently set up a connection using VPNC and I think it is incredibly straight forward (assuming you have the correct information for logging into your vpn). I have also in the past set up a PPTP vpn with my desktop, and that took some setup, mainly on the server side, but the client side was pretty straight forward as well. There is also the openVPN connection, which I have never had to mess with, so I can't give any insight on that. But if you would like some more clarification on the steps I used to setup the VPNC connection let me know. Also, I don't have any certificates or anything, this is a connection using a simple group password, group name, user name, and user password, along with the server name.
    Last edited by Dougie187; March 7th, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Broadband dongles can be a nightmare in most flavours of Linux, but the most common problem arises from failure to identify that the device is, in fact, a modem. There are lots of fixes out there, some of which work. I had hoped that the next iteration of Network Manager would mark a significant step forward in dealing with these now ubiquitous devices.

At the moment, I am using Fedora 10 on my eeePC 4G, rather than Ubuntu. That's mainly because installation and operation turned out to be simple and trouble-free, with no need for the minor hacks and updates that were recommended for 8.10. However, the Network Manager package seems to be essentially the same in both distros.

Wi-fi works brilliantly on my eeePC (better than my Windows laptop in many cases). Connections via ADSL are fine, too, and the modems I have tried have been configured using Firefox. When I'm in the sticks, out of 3G range, getting GPRS access through a variety of cellphones has also proved to be straightforward. Some broadband dongles work just fine out of the box (I could provide a list of the devices I have tried, but it would already be out-of-date), some can be persuaded to work after a bit of fiddling about, and some have turned out to be just too much trouble to be worth messing with.

One key problem is the pace at which "new" devices are being introduced (sometimes with little apparent benefit in features or performance), and I have a good deal of sympathy with the Linux developers who are trying to keep up with these commercially-driven face-lifts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bennachie View Post
    Broadband dongles can be a nightmare in most flavours of Linux, but the most common problem arises from failure to identify that the device is, in fact, a modem. There are lots of fixes out there, some of which work. I had hoped that the next iteration of Network Manager would mark a significant step forward in dealing with these now ubiquitous devices.
    In fairness to NM developers, this is a HAL issue - I know the 3 Mobile dongle I tried worked once I defined HAL rules for it.

I'm also surprised that Mobile Broadband companies in general aren't pushing better support when there is such a large netbook market that is so well suited to these devices.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last time I checked NM on Jaunty, it was not possible to connect to a PPTP VPN running on a Windows server, as NM lacks the option for "Refuse EAP". It existed in Hardy NM but is not present in the Intrepid or Jaunty versions of NM. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...tp/+bug/301593

This issue appears to have been fixed upstream in NM but afaik the fix has not yet made it into Jaunty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123