Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet documentation for Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Internet documentation for Jaunty

I and the documentation team are in the process of updating the system documentation to reflect changes in Jaunty.

We need feedback from anyone with experience of using NetworkManager to connect to:

• Mobile Broadband
    • DSL
    • Virtual Private Networks

I don't have any of these connections to test with so am not able to test and am concerned that these sections will be lacking. I am however able to write up and commit any input anyone has.

I'm posting this in the absolute beginners section because there is a good cross section of experienced users who can help and a great resource of new users who can relate actual problems encountered in attempting these connection types.

Please, please don't use this thread as a place to discuss dial up network connections. I am aware of this deficit in NetworkManager and am working with several bug reports to provide a stable documentation solution for release.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Internet documentation for Jaunty

What kind of documentation are you looking for on DSL? I have a Verizon DSL Broadband connection, and it uses dhcp to obtain the IP address. Let me know so I can help out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Network manager should be able to connect to DSL and has a tab for settings, I *think* this is for PPPoE. I suspect that most ADSL connections have a router doing the connection and sending DHCP offers to connected machines. For DSL Iam particularly interested in any connections provided by a USB DSL modem - such as those used by AOL (which is quite popular in the UK still, for example).

Any experience, problems or information that people think might be useful to new users in configuring their network connections is welcome.

Actually, I am wondering if users differentiate connection type from provider - it might be an idea to provide a set of steps for each provider.
    Last edited by ddrichardson; February 24th, 2009 at 12:09 AM.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What kind of information are you after? A how to connect to a VPN using NetworkManager?

I can test a few of these things out so let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr.p View Post
    What kind of information are you after? A how to connect to a VPN using NetworkManager?

I can test a few of these things out so let me know.
    Yes thanks, VPN would be appreciated - what steps you took in NM and any problems encountered (such as installing extra packages - if necessary). Screencaps are not used in the documentation because of translation issues but if its not a problem a grab of the main screens is useful for me to get the right wording.

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by u.lover View Post
    Yeah, tell bro. I've two different DSL connections to connect with internet
    If you connected using NetworkManager, wat providers you use, how its connected and steps you took to get it to work. Was it straight forward or did you need to install any packages or refer to any support pages?

Really, anything that you consider might not be apparent to someone who is new to Ubuntu and is generally unfamiliar with IT.

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro

With Verizon DSL, routed through a Linksys Router, I am automatically connected to the internet upon boot-up. The IP address is obtained through DHCP.

However in order for the DSL modem to be set-up, it has to either be set-up in Windows first, or you can gain access to the modem via 192.168.1.1.

Let me know any other info you need, I will check this thread later on.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    However in order for the DSL modem to be set-up, it has to either be set-up in Windows first, or you can gain access to the modem via 192.168.1.1.
    Thats a good point - so the connection to the router is picked up as auto eth0 and then you connect the router to a DSL service through its internal server?

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ddrichardson View Post
    Thats a good point - so the connection to the router is picked up as auto eth0 and then you connect the router to a DSL service through its internal server?
    I don't understand that question. So here is my explanation: My computer is hooked up to a Linksys Router, which is in turn connected to the DSL modem. The DSL modem is connected to the internet. And it is picked up as auto eth0 on the network manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by perlluver View Post
    I don't understand that question. So here is my explanation: My computer is hooked up to a Linksys Router, which is in turn connected to the DSL modem. The DSL modem is connected to the internet. And it is picked up as auto eth0 on the network manager.
    Thanks, it wasn't a question - just needed confirmation I understood your setup.

Its a good point though - I tend to assume that all users are coming from Windows which obviously isn't the case, so I need to add that a user might need to set up their Verizon account through 197.168.1.1 or whatever.

Blog | Dropbox

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast