Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.2 Released

Beans

Re: KDE 4.2 Released

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan Devyn Aodfin View Post
    Something tells me though that all things considered if PackageKit is not ready they will do the right thing and wait for it to be placed in the first 10.x, even if that means delaying an LTS release to the second half of 2010.
    I honestly don't know what to think--*buntu et al seem h*ll bent on keeping to their time-table regardless of what that means or does. Considering how good Synaptic is-they have a tall order to get Packagekit up to that par. H*ll when I was on Kubuntu I always used Synaptic anyway-simply because there weren't any other tools that did the job.

To me, it seems their definition of "stable" is anything that is older than 4 months in it's current state of development. The Qt4 on the Ubuntu repos is like this-many Kubuntu bugs can be traced back to the old version of Qt, the same for the Nvidia drivers-177.80 was buggy in many places yet made the cut because it was old enough. There are lots of dangling unfixed/addressed bugs too.

OpenOffice3 does not make the cut though-because it isn't yet old enough. Which is funny as OOo3 is more stable and less problematic than the 177.80 driver was.

Also on another note:

That's one freaking awesome machine!
    Teeehehee, thx, it is , I left out the part about it driving a 22" monitor, and having an old Logitech G15 and Revolution MX plugged into it...I also didn't mention the FSB speed I bumped up as well as the RAM voltages-the RAM is more like 1066 now actuallty

...I could go further, but the MSI K9N Neo I use just cannot handle the higher bus frequencies and voltage throughput beyond 3.36gHz on CPU and 2.05 Volts on RAM and still be stable...I "need" a new mobo, in short. Heeeehehehe.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

I thought that's already being done in Kubuntu.

I had no problem wit HAL. Maybe you needed to add some hardware description files to your setup if you are using something exotic. I've actually found Arch's implementations and softwares to be quite stable. Yes, they do you the most current packages, but they are also official packages with no backports from future versions which is something more "bleeding edge" distros do like Fedora. Heck even K/Ubuntu does it. That's what tends to cause instability is backporting features that may not always be stable, not using the default packages.

I've never really ran into that problem using Arch and I do hear it is quite rare, so there may have been a problem with your particular setup. Something special may have to have been done manually that Kubuntu does automatically for you at setup. It would not surprise me too much.

Also, I don't think that the HAL problems were just specific to Arch users. I know someone who runs OpenSuSE who has problems with HAL in KDE 4.1 and I heard there were some minor issues in Kubuntu also so they may have been bugs specific to various releases and subreleases of KDE 4.x. and not really related to HAL itself.
    here is the bug:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12221

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarblePanther View Post
    On my Arch, I had to create my own Policykit to get my internal drives to mount...the catch being the new policykt causes my Quickaccess plasmoid to be b0rked. External media mount fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarblePanther View Post
    Yep, that is similar to the bug on my friend's OpenSuSE box, except sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Othertimes drives will lock when he wants to eject something or even better the CD drive will "tease" him by ejecting then sucking the disc back in (that is actually kind of funny the first couple times).

I suggested the same thing that he look at reinstalling, upgrading, or downgrading policykit and if the problem persists check out his hardware decriptions for HAL, udev, etc. Sometimes when things get automatically detected they are miscatagorised. HAL can be a real b* when things go wrong.

To me, it seems their definition of "stable" is anything that is older than 4 months in it's current state of development. The Qt4 on the Ubuntu repos is like this-many Kubuntu bugs can be traced back to the old version of Qt, the same for the Nvidia drivers-177.80 was buggy in many places yet made the cut because it was old enough. There are lots of dangling unfixed/addressed bugs too.

OpenOffice3 does not make the cut though-because it isn't yet old enough. Which is funny as OOo3 is more stable and less problematic than the 177.80 driver was.
    So true! That's one of the things that I believe Ubuntu does wrong. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's stable. There's an old plaground with rusted out jungle gyms nearby, but I wouldn't let my nefews and nieces play on them because they are definately NOT stable despite being old. If ubuntu were not so afraid of providing new releases they would not have to backport as much code and that in turn would make make their products a lot more secure and stable because they would be using the improved, new version. I thought it was a darn shame they didn't include OpenOffice. And if you think the NVidia drivers suck, try plugging in an ATI card! Their drivers are hit and miss. SimCity 4 Deluxe under Wine ran great on my laptop with a mediocre NVidia card -- it sucks on my Radeon 9600 with 128 MB of VRAM which is plenty ample for that game.

I'm really hoping that the devs don't rush PackageKit out the door. I believe it's somehting that should be put on a high priority, but if it's not ready then it can wait because Ubuntu and Linux itself cannot afford another major rushed project. KDE 4.0 was bad, but if PackageKit goes wrong it's all of *buntu that gets the blame here and a good portion of the Linux community gets put to shame. It's important that major distros such as Ubuntu and OpenSuSE don't screw things up for everyone by turning people off to what is a great OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well I have used KDE 4.2 for about a month. It's still quite buggy and not 'for the masses'. The first bug that I experienced was that the pointer would dissapear when something large had to become the pointer (especially in potato man). It's very irritating that it is not configurable wheter windows would be switched on rolling the mouse. Then, after about a month, KDE desktop widgets crashed, i.e plasma crashes whenever I try to add a widget to the desktop. So I can't add widgets anymore as Plasma crashes. KDE 4.2 just shows that KDE 4 is very promising. I'll wait for KDE 4.3 which should be stabler, faster and come with kdevelop, koffice and QT 4.5 (perhaps) till then I am back to my very reliable Gnome. Waiting for XFCE 4.6 anyways.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zedx555 View Post
    Well I have used KDE 4.2 for about a month. It's still quite buggy and not 'for the masses'. The first bug that I experienced was that the pointer would dissapear when something large had to become the pointer (especially in potato man). It's very irritating that it is not configurable wheter windows would be switched on rolling the mouse. Then, after about a month, KDE desktop widgets crashed, i.e plasma crashes whenever I try to add a widget to the desktop. So I can't add widgets anymore as Plasma crashes. KDE 4.2 just shows that KDE 4 is very promising. I'll wait for KDE 4.3 which should be stabler, faster and come with kdevelop, koffice and QT 4.5 (perhaps) till then I am back to my very reliable Gnome. Waiting for XFCE 4.6 anyways.
    Many problems are related to the fact that Plasma is tested against Qt4.5-where it works beautifully...yet Ubuntu insists on using much older versions of Qt, and hence the problems...until the middle man updates (*buntu)-there's not much KDE can do about it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

So to follow up with a thread I created several months ago on KDE 4.1 vs Gnome (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=911735) I am going to report that 4.2 has been released and by looking at the release notes it seems that the developers have romoved many of the usability kinks that plagued the 8.04 and 8.10 KDE 4.x releases which were some of the best ones done by any distro bar only to maybe OpenSuSE.

Although, because I am lazy and MOREOVER because I don't want to install from an experimental PPA and deviate the stock KDE provided right now with both 8.10 and 9.04-Alpha I would like to invite to the table any KDE devs who would like to talk about all the developments seen both on the review sites and talk about some of the more unnoticed changes that are going on under the hood and also other added features.

Mostly I am hearing the claim that 4.2 is what 4.0 was aspiring to be on first release and that 4.0 == alpha and 4.1 == beta. Now reguardless whether I or anyone else agrees with that analysis is point aside the question that I think needs to be asked how does KDE 4.2 compare to the gold standard that 3.4 set and 3.5 raised? Are "little" things like bringing back right-click application menus on the desktop and global "mac" style menus back along with a whole slew of other features that seemed to get swept under the rug. Also does Kopete's Yahoo protocol still list everyone who has ever contacted me under one of my groups (this is a really weird bug that doesn't occur in the KDE 3.x version or in Pidgin)?

Speaking of which, other issues that are important: what is the status of the associated third party software. While it seems that Amarok finally released a stable version for 4.x, many people's favorite applications are in limbo as of now and there isn't much info on the net about what's going on. Will K3B release a K4B soon? What about Kaffiene, KOffice, Konversation, and a whole kslew of kapplikations? (Yes, I did.)

To finish on the up side I hear that 4.2 is much faster because of QT 4.5 and that further speed improvements are in the works for future releases. Also screen shots of the new Air theme in my opinion have a better look than the default Oxygen theme.
    You just now noticed? KDE 4.2 was released Jan. 27 and the Kubuntu dev team set up a PPA for Intrepid users to upgrade at that time if they wished to. This weekend the KDE packages made their way from the PPA to intrepid-backports.

QT 4.5 is not in KDE 4.2, although there are packages of Qt 4.5 RC1 floating around. KDE's dev team recommends that you not mix the two. http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=906

Regarding the PackageKit deal ... not very happy with Canonical's decision to move to PackageKit. I may give Chakra/Arch or straight-up Debian a spin before 9.04 drops.
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Many problems are related to the fact that Plasma is tested against Qt4.5-where it works beautifully...yet Ubuntu insists on using much older versions of Qt, and hence the problems...until the middle man updates (*buntu)-there's not much KDE can do about it.
    I have used KDE 4.2 with Arch not Ubuntu. But QT 4.5's not in stable Arch too as it's in RC state. I might try it again when QT 4.5 releases if it can use QT 4.5.

Beans

There really shouldn't be any reason why KDE 4.2 can't couldn't use QT 4.5. I thought that the QT versions were backward compatible -- that is software compiled under 4.2 could in theory work in 4.4 and 4.5 with little fuss. Now of course in practice they may need to be recompiled to work right but there shouldn't be any need to adjust code from what I understand. The thing I understand you can't do is compile or run code written for QT 4.5 against 4.4 or 4.3 libs. If I'm wrong please stand to correct me.

Also, the Chakra Project sound really cool. When they finally make a stable release I will definitely try it if I'm not already using KDEmod on Arch because of a premature release of PackageKit in 9.10. One thing I won't do is run Gnome in Arch. Been there done that and it was a mess. KDEmod for Arch is the way to go if you go Arch IMHO.

Beans

I might consider using KDE if it were possible to make it look halfway decent. No matter what I do I can't seem to shake that tacky-futuristic look it has going.

No intention of turning this into a KDE vs gnome thread. Call me shallow if you will, but I'm just interested to see if this version is sexier.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast