Thread: 5.10 Help on iBook

Beans

5.10 Help on iBook

I've installed Linux Ubuntu 5.10 on my old iBook, with a PowerPC processor.
    During the installation I gave the following answers to the following questions:
    I chose not to set up the network.
    I chose to wipe the entire hard drive.
    I chose to partition the disk.
    The installation afterwards was a complete success.
    However, now when I boot the computer up, it gives me a DOS-style command prompt and I have no idea what to do with that. An actual operating system would be nice, and it's been extremely frustrating ever since. Anybody got any help for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 5.10 Help on iBook

first of all 5.10 is outdated and not supported anymore. It's 4 years old. Instead of trying to get this to work as a fresh install I really urge you to download the latest ubuntu version or at least the latest ubuntu LTS version.

On a side note there may be no problems at all. Maybe you just installed the server version.

Beans

My iBook is PowerPC, I was told by a friend that later versions of Ubuntu were not supported by PowerPC and only worked on Intel. But, if that's the case then I'll get it.

Beans

For PowerPC, I'd go with Fedora. All versions of it support PowerPc and it is pretty similar to Ubuntu. Why use something over 3 years old?

Beans

Fedora? I think I had it on my really old Windows ME computer that I got for free.
    Why use something that old? Because I got it for free, too, and I have literally no money. It's either that or an old, OLD Clamshell iBook. So, that's why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Read the following post for information on downloading the latest PowerPC images
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427714

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Light View Post
    Fedora? I think I had it on my really old Windows ME computer that I got for free.
    Why use something that old? Because I got it for free, too, and I have literally no money. It's either that or an old, OLD Clamshell iBook. So, that's why.
    The newer versions of Ubuntu don't support PowerPC. According to the link above, their is a community version, but Fedora (and also Debian if you prefer) support PowerPC directly. They are also free.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have been running Ubuntu on my G4 Ibook since 6.06. I am now using 8.10 and downloading 9.04. I seem to have gotten all the support I needed from this forum. The only problems I have had have been caused by myself. 8.04 should be the easiest late model distro to boot up.

Beans

Okay, thanks for your help!