• Songbird (Hey, it uses gstreamer!)

54 15.00%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Future of Media in Karmic

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Future of Media in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    If a different app gets a better GUI or better performance or more powerful searching or whatever, would you consider that a reasonable reason to change?
    Yep, all of the above

Right now though I find rhythmbox does everything well for me

I did try Banshee but didn't like the time it took to sort itself out with a new music collection. And Exaile is okay except I prefer the search results layout of rhythmbox.

Beans

i'm quite fond of lsiten! but it havent been developed since... ever?

otherwise, i'd say go for songbird. its slowly becoming the cross-platform amarok.

Beans

listen will kill banshee in the future, probably by November if the developers hurry up

listen is by default in xubuntu 8.10

http://www.listen-project.org/
    Last edited by karlmp; February 26th, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
    "I took the red pill, but I installed the blue Linux"

Archlinux user, using it right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've just filed a bug regarding my problem with high CPU usage:
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=573319

Since I prefer Launchpad, I opened a bug there too and added a watch for the upstream bug. It's #335174.

... and I'm impressed with Listen! I didn't know it, so I was quite surprised. Too bad that the version in the repositories doesn't have the equalizer... I really like it, but it doesn't seem to support gapless playback either, so I'm staying with Rhythmbox a little more.

Beans
    Distro

You know, I could have sworn that gapless playback was a GStreamer .10 feature. How come Banshee, Listen, etc don't have gapless playback if they use Gstreamer backends?

Or don't they use Gstreamer backends?
    Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scaine View Post
    You know, I could have sworn that gapless playback was a GStreamer .10 feature. How come Banshee, Listen, etc don't have gapless playback if they use Gstreamer backends?

Yes, they use Gstreamer (well, I'm sure about Bashee, and I think so about Listen). But this is not enough.

At the application level, you need, at the very least, to schedule the next song for playing before the current song ends, so that an uninterrupted music stream can reach the sound card.

This is with lossless audio formats, and lossy formats designed to support gapless playback out of the box (like OGG). Other compression formats introduce encoder-induced gaps at the beginning and the end of the track, which you have to account for to have gapless playback.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, not even Rhythmbox supports gapless playback of such formats (MP3, AAC, etc.). But gapless playback for OGG and FLAC is enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

So, with the recent Python upgrades temporarily knocking out my QuodLibet (yeah, I decided to remove it anyway), I went looking for an alternative music tagger that would do similar and found a great app. Thought some people in this thread might be interested in this. It's command line, not GUI, and is a little complicated with variables, but it appears to be quite powerful.
    lltag takes a list of music files on the command line and tries to automatically understand their filenames and guess their associated tags. It uses an internal format database to do so. For each file, it will try each format until one matches the current filename, extract the corresponding fields from the filename and set the music tags.

lltag also allows to pass one or several format strings like "%a - %A/%n. - %t", so that the user may help the program when the filenames are too strange, complex or damaged.

It is also possible to set some fields by hand or edit some. And finally, lltag may use these fields to rename the file according to a user-given filename format.
    TrackType.org

lltag also provides a interface to access an online CDDB (TrackType.org) and retrieve tags from there. It makes it possible to tag/rename a file from scratch.
    Here's the website. It's in the repos.

Beans
    Distro

About tagging and the players: I love rhythmbox, because of it's simplicity and powerful text-based library browser.

However, the ratings get saved on a xml file instead of the actual id3 tags. That's a drag for me. Is this normal among music players?

Beans

I tried out Banshee and had many problems.
    • The Last.fm plugin wouldn't let me sign in
    • When copying music to my iPod the art files were 3 gigs large
    • Copying music to my iPod took over twice the time of Rhythmbox
    • The album art was wrong quite a few times

It is definitely sexier than Rhythmbox, but until it is as stable, there should be no change in the default.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scaine View Post

Gapless requires the playbin2 element which isn't default yet. The Rhythmbox implementation is not a standard gstreamer feature instead it's their own homebrew.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast