• Songbird (Hey, it uses gstreamer!)

54 15.00%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Future of Media in Karmic

Beans

Re: Future of Media in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by kaivalagi View Post
    I still prefer python and it's libraries only
    So, you have platform X that lets you do A, and platform Y that lets you do A, B, C, D, and still prefer platform X? This is complete irrationality!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tawmas View Post
    Ok, I've just tried. This was a fresh reinstall (I had previously removed and purged the Banshee package). I don't have the Mirage plugin installed, and I have the "Disable features requiring Internet access" preference ticked, so it didn't download cover art for albums.

CPU stayed mostly above 100%, and it went as high as (approximately) 156%. CPU temperature went as high as 70.9C, which is not safe for my CPU.

My collection is 6425 files, and the effective time reported by top at the end of the scan is about 7:30.

Please, let me know what kind of information you would like to see in the bug report, and I'll file one.
    If you include the exact version you're using (and where did you get it), and paste the log of what do you see in the console when that happens (launching banshee from the console, that is), that's enough for a bug report. You may have to answer more questions from the developers later on, though.

Thanks for testing!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by knocte View Post
    So, you have platform X that lets you do A, and platform Y that lets you do A, B, C, D, and still prefer platform X? This is complete irrationality!
    Sorry, I don't mean to go too far off topic but, it's not really irrational to stick to one language. Why write applications that use several different languages under the hood? sounds like a maintenance headache. Why not just use one language that works for everything...

And if the choice of language is python then mono isn't warranted. If the choice is c#/vb then Python isn't warranted. The only exception to this would be when lower level development is required, such as in the case of C based games engines, where python or alike is used for rapid dev of system areas around it, where performance isn't a necessity.

In Banshee's case it is using mono so I would expect vb/c# to be used, even for plugin development.

The only situation I can see that would benefit from mono's support of Python through IronPython is where system integration work is necessary...

Just my opinion Each to their own and all that.
    Last edited by kaivalagi; February 25th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.

Beans

Sorry, I don't mean to go too far off topic but, it's not really irrational to stick to one language. Why write applications that use several different languages under the hood? sounds like a maintenance headache. Why not just use one language that works for everything...

And if the choice of language is python then mono isn't warranted. If the choice is c#/vb then Python isn't warranted. The only exception to this would be when lower level development is required, such as in the case of C based games engines, where python or alike is used for rapid dev of system areas around it, where performance isn't a necessity.

In Banshee's case it is using mono so I would expect vb/c# to be used, even for plugin development.

The only situation I can see that would benefit from mono's support of Python through IronPython is where system integration work is necessary...

Just my opinion Each to their own and all that.
    I still don't get it.

If you use IronPython, nobody forces you to use other languages. Only thing is that you will have the possibility in case you need it. So, that being said, your decision just restricts you, nothing more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knocte View Post
    I still don't get it.

If you use IronPython, nobody forces you to use other languages. Only thing is that you will have the possibility in case you need it. So, that being said, your decision just restricts you, nothing more.
    Besides, it's not only the possibility for you to use a wide range of things, it's a possibility for *others* to use the libraries you develop. For example if you develop an IronPython lib, an IronRuby user will be able to use it. This way you create ecosystem, a very similar concept to how open source works in the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

The subject of python or iron python is a different one. It is up to the individual to determine which language suits them best. This thread is not about using any particular language, its about media in karmic so try and keep it relevant and to the point.
    "The program 'apt-get' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing apt-get install apt" LOL

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tretle View Post
    The subject of python or iron python is a different one. It is up to the individual to determine which language suits them best. This thread is not about using any particular language, its about media in karmic so try and keep it relevant and to the point.
    Apologies

@knocte, I accept your arguments for, they make sense, personal preference is the only difference here

Getting back on the subject of Rhythmbox then...just because development is slowing/stopping, is that a valid reason to not use it as the default player? It has all my required features as a "music player" and from what I have read any nasty bugs (if there are any that really matter now) will probably still get addressed by the developer.

Also, why couldn't Ubuntu or other developers around take on the support if the original developer loses all interest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Getting back on the subject of Rhythmbox then...just because development is slowing/stopping, is that a valid reason to not use it as the default player? It has all my required features as a "music player" and from what I have read any nasty bugs (if there are any that really matter now) will probably still get addressed by the developer.
    If there's no scope for improvement, ever, then what next? An app with active developers is more likely to adapt to users' changing needs

Also, why couldn't Ubuntu or other developers around take on the support if the original developer loses all interest?
    Is it a good use of resources, if more actively maintained alternatives exist?
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Hidden!

Fair points, although I think I'll still use it as long as it's in the repos - until the alternatives are as good IMHO.

It does what a music player needs to do......until a new music format takes over that is

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Fair points, although I think I'll still use it as long as it's in the repos - until the alternatives are as good IMHO.
    Entirely reasonable

Use whichever player you like - the question is over which player should be given to new users as standard

It does what a music player needs to do......until a new music format takes over that is
    If a different app gets a better GUI or better performance or more powerful searching or whatever, would you consider that a reasonable reason to change?
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast