• Songbird (Hey, it uses gstreamer!)

54 15.00%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Future of Media in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Future of Media in Karmic

Now here lies a field where Canonical can make a visible, tangible difference... I'd say the best solution is a client with a separated front- and backend so my current vote goes to mpd. The available frontends for mpd are OK but they probably do not live up to the expectations of those looking for the bling and featuritis associated with this type of software. What mpd has got right is more important though:

a) speed, b) stability and c) interoperability. Here at home music (local files, internet radio stations or files shared by networked machines) is streamed from the 'server under the stairs (a BP6 with 2 x 466 MHz Celeron processors...)' to whatever machine on the network I happen to work on using pulseaudio (but not rtp as that crashes dd-wrt-based routers...), I can change tunes using anything from a simple command line client to a full-fledged, album-art-and-lyrics-including player application (gmpc) or even my phone. Of course you can also run the daemon and client on the same machine to get something similar to the more traditional media players. The opposite is usually not the case.

So IMnsHO mpd already fits the bill but if more bling & features are wanted Canonical could put some people on building a client which provides those. There are many projects which something like this can be based on... just take the good features from all of them (eg. Rhythmbox's search) and combine them in something lightweight, stable and snappy.
    [ "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur, nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est." ]

Beans

I may be stupid but at bootup I get this "Musicplayer Daemon" startup text (mpd)

Beans

Looks like Banshee's going to be proposed for Karmic at UDS Barcelona: http://www.apebox.org/wordpress/rants/74/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jblackhall View Post
    Looks like Banshee's going to be proposed for Karmic at UDS Barcelona: http://www.apebox.org/wordpress/rants/74/
    I saw this article too. Quite interesting. The inevitable Mono debates, however, are growing a bit tiresome
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just voted rhythm box
    I use vlc media player

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    I saw this article too. Quite interesting. The inevitable Mono debates, however, are growing a bit tiresome
    while I would welcome seeing banshee as the default media player the rationale justifying it disturbs me , I would rather see it accepted as a better media player ( ofcourse thats a personal judgement and subject to debate) than because it might save a few MB disk space.
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

okay... i voted songbird
    but then i try to install banshee.. and impressed ( last time i tried banshee is a year ago)
    i think banshee is better now in term of stability and feature
    PS: banshee seems backed up by novell now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    while I would welcome seeing banshee as the default media player the rationale justifying it disturbs me , I would rather see it accepted as a better media player ( ofcourse thats a personal judgement and subject to debate) than because it might save a few MB disk space.
    Well that's probably why they voted Banshee
    Disk space is objective
    Quality is subjective
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by tretle View Post
    Any chance of posting what version? I have no problems with the last.fm plugin here. As for copying music to my ipod I cant really do a comparison because although rhythmbox gives the illusion of the music being copied over when I actually take a look at the ipod afterwards I soon realise that rhythmbox never updated the database. In fact I am extremely happy with the ipod support for banshee, offering to restructure the database when itunes messes it up is a great feature. A whole lot better than just simply not working like rhythmbox. The only complaint when it comes to the ipod would be the album art. Sometimes it mixes up the album art with the other tracks being synced but I find it a hell of allot better than not uploading the album art at all like rhythmbox does, in fact last time i checked you have to play a track in order for rhythmbox to grab the album art and store it in the cache, this was incredibly annoying for fresh installs when you might not have played that track on that installation yet.

Allot of people think its time to get a new theme for ubuntu but my personal opinion is that the music player is much more important. Rhythmbox just doesn't work very well. Back when I was backing rhythmbox I had several private messages from these threads one of which was a guy asking me how they can get their children's ipods working with it, Its a pain to to try and get working well. Maybe not for the older gen models but 3rd gen nano on is just horribly supported. Ipods are popular, they are one of the most popular mp3 players out. Ubuntu should be in a situation where these players are supported out of the box.
    And this is only one aspect in which rhythmbox doesn't handle very well. I have a great respect for moch and the guys but a rewrite is needed.
    And unfortunately one should ask themselves should ubuntu be held back in terms of functionality and having an audio player that "Just Works" the way its supposed to until this rewrite is completed(it hasn't even been started yet) or should they just switch to a well maintained alternative which is similar enough in terms of layout that people would not be uncomfortable about the change(banshee).
    My personal opinion is no, if banshee has already proven itself then why not switch to using it as default, people shouldn't let their reservations about a programming language influence their opinion on having open source software that just works and I feel that is one of the main reasons people were against it before.
    As hard as I find it to say rhythmbox doesn't just work.
    I don't know what you're on about with Rhythmbox not supporting new iPod models well, it does so FAR better than Banshee. I have a new Generation Ipod Classic and Rhythmbox transfers files to it perfectly, including the album art, and does so very fast, while Banshee corrupts the database and takes ages to transfer the files. This is a known bug in Banshee (and ipodslave too i think), Banshee cannot handle the database of the newer iPods.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011