Thread: No video on GeForce 8400GS with Intel 965 onboard

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No video on GeForce 8400GS with Intel 965 onboard

I've thrown together an oldish MSI barebones with G965 onboard video. Added a GeForce 8400GS to the PCI slot in the riser card and installed Ubuntu 8.10 x86-32.
    The install was quick with no problems aside from no video from the nvidia device. I got a restricted modules popup asking me if I wanted to install driver 173 or 177 for the graphics card. I selected 177, rebooted and...no dice. The video is still on board, and I am dumped to the console after the screen flickers a couple times and reports no devices available.
    I didn't grab any of the logs or xorg.conf files, and instead reinstalled. This time I tried envyng (just for giggles). The result was the same, except now I can get back to at least GUI after uninstalling the nvidia drivers.

My hope is to use dual monitors so I can multitask a little better but first I need to get video from the 8400GS. I did grab the Xorg.0.log from the failed nvidia driver boot. The only thing I see in it that is of any concern is that it sees two devices and doesn't seem to know what to do.

There s not option to disable the onboard video in BIOS, and I'm at a loss as to how to tell X.org which device to use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vive la révolution!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: No video on GeForce 8400GS with Intel 965 onboard

I resolved this issue. Simple A+ Cert. level stuff. When a PC does not allow for selection of the boot video device but includes a PCIe x16 slot (whether on the mainboard or on a riser card) 9 times out of 10, it will auto-detect the x16 card and switch to that without any user intervention. Not the case for a PCI graphics card, which is what I was using. The catch here is that if the x16 slot is on a riser card, the slot that the riser card is plugged into has to be either a PCI-X (usually 64-bit @ 133MHz) or a PCI-e x16 slot.

I bought another 8400GS but x16 this time and it works perfectly. Dual screens and all with no hassle.
    Last edited by speedkreature; February 25th, 2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Surfing the web in a text mode browser is tricky stuff.
    Vive la révolution!