Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Currently Dual Booting Ubuntu & Mint – Need Help Going 100% Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Currently Dual Booting Ubuntu & Mint – Need Help Going 100% Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bark50 View Post
    My reluctance to setting up a separate partition for my /home directory is strictly knee-jerk...
    Actually I didn't mean setting up a separate home partition, I simply meant creating a separate partition for your personal documents. That's a lot easier than setting up a home partition, because there's no configuration necessary.
    To that end, I think this is what I need to do:
    1.From gParted, I right-click the linux swap file and choose “Swapoff.” This unlocks swap and my extended partition.
    2.Then I click on sda2 (the extended partition) and choose “Resize/Move.”
    3.In the box that opens up, I move the left arrow all the way it will go to the right. This nudges it up right to the swap file, I think.
    4.I click on the “Resize/Move” button in the box.
    5.After the process finishes, I right-click on swap and choose “Swapon.”

Is that it? Will I be done then? I really do appreciate the help everyone has given me here.
    Sounds like you have it exactly right if giving the unallocated space to sda1 is what you decide to do. You can omit the last step of selecting "swapon" if you want, as that's not important since I doubt you'll need the swap space when doing the partition changes from the Live CD. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to cry. Following the 1-through-5 instructions I posted earlier, I ended up with (I think I might have found out how to post a screenshot, but just in case I didn't...):

sda1------ext3-----228.63 GiB
    unallocated----unallocated----227.71 GiB
    sda2-----extended-----9.41 GiB
    sda5 (nestled in sda2)----linux-swap----9.41 GiB

Where do I go from here? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It looks like you did a great job, but there's just one more step: click on the sda1 partition, click "unmount", choose "resize", and then move it's end point (use the right arrow in the gparted dialog box) all the way to the right to use the unallocated space that you created by resizing sda2. Then you should be finished. Let me know how it goes or if you run into problems.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    ...click on the sda1 partition, click "unmount"...
    Booting from the live CD and using gParted, when I click on sda1 the unmount feature of the context menu is grayed out. If I start up the installed Ubuntu, go to gParted, and right-click on sda1, unmount is not grayed out. However, clicking on it results in the message, "Could not unmount /dev/sda1. The partition could not be unmounted from the following mountpoints: / Most likely other partitions are also mounted on these mountpoints. You are advised to unmount them manually."

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here.

Beans

Booting from the live CD and using gParted, when I click on sda1 the unmount feature of the context menu is grayed out. If I start up the installed Ubuntu, go to gParted, and right-click on sda1, unmount is not grayed out. However, clicking on it results in the message, "Could not unmount /dev/sda1. The partition could not be unmounted from the following mountpoints: / Most likely other partitions are also mounted on these mountpoints. You are advised to unmount them manually."

I do appreciate all the help I'm getting here.
    You definitely have to use your Live CD to resize sda1, because you can't resize sda1 when you are booted into it. If sda1 is not mounted when you run gparted from the Live CD, there won't be a "lock" icon next to it in gparted, and gparted won't give you the option to unmount it since it isn't mounted. I only mentioned clicking the "unmount" option in case sda1 was mounted, but if it isn't, no need to worry; just continue with resizing sda1.

Beans
    Distro

Doh! Guess I could have looked at all of the context menu. Then I would have seen the "Resize/Move" option was already ripe for the clickin'. Caljohn, may I suggest you consider changing your nic to CalJob to reflect the patience you've shown here? Everything works great now. Thank you so much.

Beans

Glad to hear you successfully resized your sda1 Ubuntu partition; cheers and enjoy your Ubuntu install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12