Thread: Wacom tablet recommendation for Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Wacom tablet recommendation for Ubuntu 8.10

At work, I use a Wacom Intuos.3 for image manipulation in Photoshop. At home, I have a PC running Ubuntu 8.10 and would like to start doing some work with a tablet. I know that there are a lot of software tweaks and bumps that need smoothing out in order to get it to work "just right". I am fine with it and prepared for a little frustration.

However, if you have had some experience in this area, all input would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to recommend other input devices or software successes that you have had. I was planning on just running GIMP, but am up for other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Wacom tablet recommendation for Ubuntu 8.10

Also, first post so go easy on me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Intuos 3 works fine, that's what I'm using myself. But I've understood that pretty much al Wacom tablets should work so it's more a question of what you want to use.

By default, only the pen tool works (no extra buttons or eraser), but the tablet can be just plugged in on the fly and everything works.

If you follow this quide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom you can get all the extra buttons & eraser tool working correctly, but then you need to have the tablet connected from the boot and can't just plug it in when needed. Anyway, the extra tools are definitely worth it, and it's quite easy to setup.

If you install the wacom-tools package you'll get a program called "wacomcpl" which can be sued to configure all the buttons, sensitivity etc.. The annoying thing is that the settings won't stay after boot since it saves them into a fle that Ubuntu doesn't use. So to get your settngs to stay you need to copy commands wacomcpl added into ~/.xinitrc and add them into some configuration file that is actually used. ~/.profile seems to work fine.

At least Gimp and Inkscape work great with tablets, I don't know about other programs since these two do pretty much everything I need (apart from Imagemagick for batch processing of images ).
    Last edited by mcduck; February 20th, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the advice mcduck.

I have heard good things about Inkscape, is it a Illustrator clone or used only for vector images? I do most things in GIMP anyway, but it would be nice to have a better/more convenient set of tools to work with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

from linuxwacom website

Supported Serial Devices
    UD series & PenPartner
    Graphire & Intuos series
    Cintiq series
    TabletPC (with/without touch)

Supported USB Devices
    Graphire series
    Cintiq (V4 series)
    CintiqPartner
    Intuos 1, 2, & 3
    Cintiq (V5 series)
    Volito series
    PenPartner series
    PL & DTF
    Bamboo, Bamboo1, & BambooFun
    TabletPC (with/without touch)
    Wacom tablets usually works great with linux. Sometimes they may require a few config file modifications but the end result is almost always positive.

EDIT: Inkscape is only for vector images but check out the roadmap from wiki. There are really interesting plans. Such as CAD support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Inkscape is a vector graphics program, but you can import bitmap images into Inkscape as objects, and also trace them into vectors. It's also able to export as PNG files.