Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start a thread in a different section of the forums. And about macs.

Beans

How to start a thread in a different section of the forums. And about macs.

Well, I was trying to start a thread in the Mac OS X section, but there wasn't a button like there is here.

Anyhow, I was hoping to ask the Ubuntu community how they feel about the Macbook and Macs in general.

So I'm in the market for a new laptop, and was recommended Apple(if I could afford it).

So is it true the OS X comes with Python? And how do you guys(and gals) feel about Macs. Also, how is Apple's support.

P.S. I know there is system76, but in these times, I'm not sure if I want to trust a small company to survive this economic crisis, and contiunue to provide me support.

P.P.S. Mods, you can just move this to the OS X section if you want.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to start a thread in a different section of the forums. And about macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom2595 View Post
    Well, I was trying to start a thread in the Mac OS X section, but there wasn't a button like there is here.

Anyhow, I was hoping to ask the Ubuntu community how they feel about the Macbook and Macs in general.

So I'm in the market for a new laptop, and was recommended Apple(if I could afford it).

So is it true the OS X comes with Python? And how do you guys(and gals) feel about Macs. Also, how is Apple's support.

P.S. I know there is system76, but in these times, I'm not sure if I want to trust a small company to survive this economic crisis, and contiunue to provide me support.

P.P.S. Mods, you can just move this to the OS X section if you want.
    i Have read in other places that some people were becoming un-impressed with Apples' lack hardware support. I myself had an eMac for about three months and got rid of it. I find that Ubuntu is just as stable and can do everything I needed. I no longer run windows except in a virtual machine for that "just in case" time. Unless you are into heavy video and media,,I find Ubuntu to do the trick.
    -Registered Linux User #445483

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I bought a Mac 5 or 6 years ago. Still have it. first class equipment and I liked the os much better than windows. Had Ubuntu on it since 6.06. Rarely boot into the Mac os. Don't think I would buy another. For the same money I can get two first class machines and put linux on them and do more without ever having to go to the store to buy an app.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've used Macs for about 8 years and just moved over to Ubuntu maybe three months ago. I could not afford to update my hardware, getting a very nice machine running Linux for about 1/3rd the price. Other than that, I would probably still use Apple.

I find there are some things about Apple that bug me, but that is true about Ubuntu too (or Windows). There are days when I really wish I still had my Mac at work -- like when I struggle with a Network printer I don't have a proper driver for, and while I like tinkering there are times when I want it to just WORK without the huge effort this takes in Ubuntu sometimes. That said, for the technical stuff I do at work (I do math, computer stuff) I was getting into a lot of stuff that open source does really well even on my Mac and I find that much of that works better (in my opinion) in Linux than as a port. And for average day to day stuff Ubuntu seems to do just fine. For me, I borrow my wife's Mac to do photo-editing. Bibble in Linux does fine for a lot of stuff, but for many things I just can't find free tools that do what pay-for do.

Anyway. In this forum you'll probably find a lot of Ubuntu fans (duh) but I want to say that (at least in my experience) I have never had a problem with Apples support (though you do pay dearly for it) and the Macs I've had have been top of the line and nice machines. Also very expensive!

Beans

My main desktop machine is an iMac, I rarely ever boot into the tiny (& boring) OSX partition, as I have Arch installed on it (which I love).

The iMac is a pleasure to use with Linux, takes up little space & has a brilliant screen. The mouse & keyboard were crap, but that was easy to remedy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom2595 View Post
    The Mac OSX forum is a part of the Other OS Talk forum, which has been closed:

The Ubuntu Forums have grown tremendously over the years. While we regret that we are discontinuing our Other OS Talk category, this gives us an opportunity to help other Linux distributions grow by directing traffic to the websites of these distributions.
    One of the mod's said that discussions of OSes other than Ubuntu should go to ABT or GH (not sure what these are).

Questions regarding other OSes can go to ABT or GH with the [other] tag (I cannot recall if it is set up already, I'll check. Edit: yes, it's there).
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6750948

Beans

We have a new Other OS Talk forum going, the link is in my signature.

There is a Mac section there too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    We have a new Other OS Talk forum going, the link is in my signature.

There is a Mac section there too.
    Thanks, I'll just copy and paste the appropriate part of my post to it then.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

[other_os] prefix added
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm not an apple fan anymore - use to support the os back in the days of version 7.x. I think linux is way better than apple/windows. However if you love the apple os but can't afford the hardware - you looked at this?

http://lifehacker.com/5122782/build-...-for-under-240

Personally I think you would be better off going with a truly free OS like Linux but everyone to their own
    Last edited by yeleek; February 20th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast