Thread: Swap suddently increasing after updates?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Swap suddently increasing after updates?

Did anyone noticed this?

My last updates were for wine (I'm using updates from the wine HQ) and security updates for ati driver. I think it was after that that I noticed my swap being used, which is VERY uncommon as I have 2GiB of RAM and have swappiness set to 20. My swap partition is 1GiB.

I'm writing this with 27% of ram used, and 66% of swap.

Did someone noticed this?

Thanks.
    Murphy's Law: if anything can go wrong, it will!

Beans

Re: Swap suddently increasing after updates?

It almost sounds like a memory leak. I would try running the system for a while without using WINE and seeing if your swap is being used. Keep checking with:
    Code:
    free -m
    Then use WINE for a while and check free -m
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro

Does wine runs in any form (daemon or something...) without us directly calling some wine app?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No it doesn't run without explicitly calling it.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro

Did you have a program like gimp that likes to use alot of swap? Is your system performance degraded? If performance isn't degraded it's really not something to worry about, swap will get used. I've noticed alot of times if swap does get used on my system it doesn't get deleted out once it's no longer needed.
    I haven't been using anything "heavy". And my system performance does not seem degraded. Maybe it's nothing to worry.
    But I really found this strange, 'cause I have this system set up for one year, and I never (unless I'm running for a while VirtualBox) see swap getting used.

I'll try to find out if it is wine or not. Besides wine, the only apps that I've been using are firefox and thunderbird.

Thanks.

Beans

And my system performance does not seem degraded. Maybe it's nothing to worry.
    But I really found this strange, 'cause I have this system set up for one year, and I never (unless I'm running for a while VirtualBox) see swap getting used.
    As jerome noted, if you keep your system up for long periods of time, old stuff will eventually get swapped out and leave free RAM. This is desired behavior. http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000
    What would happen if your hard disk died right now?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    As jerome noted, if you keep your system up for long periods of time, old stuff will eventually get swapped out and leave free RAM. This is desired behavior. http://kerneltrap.org/node/3000
    Yes, I understand that. Where I was trying to get is that, after a year working on a machine with a given configuration, you start to know the behaviour you should expect. On my machine, which I use for work, on a variety of things, opening apps like VirtualBox with XP, thunderbird, firefox, amsn, Netbeans,...I NEVER (unless when I run VirtualBox for a while) see my swap getting used. In part, because I chose so, setting kernel variable swappiness to 20. That's why I found this so strange, and posted here

Either way, I tried to monitor the memory after a restart. I think its thunderbird:
    Before thunderbird:
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          2022       1445        577          0         27       1065
    -/+ buffers/cache:        353       1669
    Swap:          996          0        996
    After:
    Code:
    Mem:          2022       1922        100          0         12        834
    -/+ buffers/cache:       1075        947
    Swap:          996        527        469
    I opened one app at a time, giving some time (about 30 min) before opening the next app. It was hard job lol.
    At the time I'm writing this, I have a terminal open, thunderbird, firefox and system monitor.

The values above are not very significative. The swap did not increase from zero to that value. It seems to me that it increases each time thunderbird checks email.

After checking the system monitor, I see that java was using much memory. I'm guessing it was the thunderbird plugin Spamato that was leaking. It's using 70 MB (right next to firefox, using 60 lol).

Tomorrow I'll try to check if it really was thunderbird leaking, by not opening it at all, and see if this situation happens again.

But it seems that it has nothing to do with the recent updates.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Belerophon View Post
    Did anyone noticed this?

My last updates were for wine (I'm using updates from the wine HQ) and security updates for ati driver. I think it was after that that I noticed my swap being used, which is VERY uncommon as I have 2GiB of RAM and have swappiness set to 20. My swap partition is 1GiB.

I'm writing this with 27% of ram used, and 66% of swap.

Did someone noticed this?

Thanks.
    nope not really, but this desktop has only been up for 18 hours, restarted it recently. You could have some app that has a memory leak too.

Code:
    free -m
    Mem:          1000        929         70          0         13        210
    -/+ buffers/cache:        705        294
    Swap:         2047         56       1991
    Did you have a program like gimp that likes to use alot of swap? Is your system performance degraded? If performance isn't degraded it's really not something to worry about, swap will get used. I've noticed alot of times if swap does get used on my system it doesn't get deleted out once it's no longer needed.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."