Thread: multiple monitor configurations

Beans

multiple monitor configurations

I'm running Intrepid on my thinkpad T60 laptop (ATI X1300, Radeon driver). I use two main configurations.

At work, I have a 1280x1024 external LCD, which I use in combination with the laptop's built in 1400x1050 LCD. To do this, I have added the following to the 'screen' section of xorg.conf:
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 2800 1050
    EndSubSection

At home, I have a 1920x1200 external LCD. When I use it, I disable the laptop LCD. To use this configuration, I have to delete the above lines from xorg.conf, and logout and back in again.

How can I use both of these configurations without having to constantly change my xorg.conf?

(If I use the xorg.conf with the Virtual line, the resolution for my external monitor only goes as high as 1680x1050. If I use the xorg.conf without the virtual line, the dual screen setup doesn't work properly)

Beans

Re: multiple monitor configurations

Does anyone have any tips on this?

Quote Originally Posted by period3 View Post
    I'm running Intrepid on my thinkpad T60 laptop (ATI X1300, Radeon driver). I use two main configurations.

At work, I have a 1280x1024 external LCD, which I use in combination with the laptop's built in 1400x1050 LCD. To do this, I have added the following to the 'screen' section of xorg.conf:
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 2800 1050
    EndSubSection

At home, I have a 1920x1200 external LCD. When I use it, I disable the laptop LCD. To use this configuration, I have to delete the above lines from xorg.conf, and logout and back in again.

How can I use both of these configurations without having to constantly change my xorg.conf?

(If I use the xorg.conf with the Virtual line, the resolution for my external monitor only goes as high as 1680x1050. If I use the xorg.conf without the virtual line, the dual screen setup doesn't work properly)

skotos is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: multiple monitor configurations

Quote Originally Posted by period3 View Post
    It is the problem I have asked for some info in a post of mine - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081296 - but, just not to delete the configuration and simply "unrem" the profile you want to run, you might simply try something like this
    PHP Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "LayoutOfLCDandElectron19BlueIII"

Screen      0  "ScreenOf9815WKMI" 0 0
        Screen      1  
    "ScreenOfElectron19BlueIII" RightOf "ScreenOf9815WKMI"
    EndSection

Section 
    "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "LayoutOfLCDandSonyTV"

Screen      0  "ScreenOf9815WKMI" 0 600
        Screen      1  
    "ScreenOfSonyTV" Above "ScreenOf9815WKMI"
    EndSection

Section 
    "ServerFlags"
    #    Option         "DefaultServerLayout" "LayoutOfLCDandElectron19BlueIII"

Option         "DefaultServerLayout" "LayoutOfLCDandSonyTV"

Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection 
    That is, store 2 layouts in the same xorg.conf and set the default server layout inside the ServerFlags section. This way you will not need to remember all the different parameters and sections, nor you will not duplicate any file.

If you want or need it, you may have a look at my full xorg.conf by going to the above mentioned post.

Unfortunately, I am running an Nvidia proprietary driver and I do not know how to check, just before running X, what kind of second device is present (or not), so at the moment I cannot write a shell script to automatically set the expected layout.

I think that this might be the real problem: is there any info under /proc on how many display devices and what hardware settings they are found to run with?

If this info were available just before X (eg. in the previous runlevel) a simple script - run as a service - might silently accomplish the task: see smani's suggestion.

HTH
    Last edited by skotos; March 5th, 2009 at 01:28 AM.
    Registered GNU/Linux user: 232677
    Definitely moving to GNU/Linux made me trust Computer Science again.