Thread: Trying to learn SCHEME, resources/tips/what to use Ubuntu/Windows Thanks!

Beans

Trying to learn SCHEME, resources/tips/what to use Ubuntu/Windows Thanks!

Hey guys, we are learning Scheme in my programming class this semester but It's really self study. We have been using The Little Schemer / Dr. Scheme but I cannot find many resources about scheme on the web. I was wondering if you guys could give me the -the scheme resource- and other resources, plus your opinions on the IDES or tools that help write scheme in Ubuntu or Windows. I mean for stuff like C i do use gVim, but something that helps noobs at scheme would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.

Beans

Re: Trying to learn SCHEME, resources/tips/what to use Ubuntu/Windows Thanks!

Well, "the" resource is the book "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs", or "SICP". There are also lectures associated to it as videos. Google for both, they're out there.

As for learning, DrScheme is a nice "IDE" for the purpose...
    LambdaGrok. | #ubuntu-programming on FreeNode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

just use text files, and emacs (or vim if you are communist). but I am no fan of big IDE's. But don't give up of Scheme nor let anyone tell you bad about scheme.

Scheme can do anything any other language can!
    If there's one thing worse than a program that doesn't work when it should, it's a program that does work when it shouldn't.

Bob Archer

Beans

guile, drscheme, mit-scheme, etc

are these all compatible with each other, i mean will code written in one work in another without change?

if not then which one of these is closer to the standards? or professionally usable?