Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remastersys Guide - Create Your Own Ubuntu-based Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Remastersys Guide - Create Your Own Ubuntu-based Distro

Quote Originally Posted by munishvit View Post
    Hey guys
    Using 'create a USB startup disk', I installed my distro ISO image to USB. But when trying to use this live USB on my friends system, I get the following message:
    Could anyone tell, is there problem in image itself or I need to give some command at boot?
    thanks
    Can anybody help me? Please...
    Nature Thoughts & Symmetry

Beans

Sorry, dude!! I just got my 32GB flash drive in the mail today... so I haven't even gotten to that part yet.

I couldn't imagine apt-get autoremove being your problem, and I also don't see why you'd use it after you use apt-get clean. I think clean should be all you need.

I'm guessing your issue prolly has something to do with the boot loader. If you really want to figure it out, I'd highly recommend stopping by the Remastersys forum and asking Fragadelic, the Remastersys developer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Sorry, dude!! I just got my 32GB flash drive in the mail today... so I haven't even gotten to that part yet.

I couldn't imagine apt-get autoremove being your problem, and I also don't see why you'd use it after you use apt-get clean. I think clean should be all you need.

I'm guessing your issue prolly has something to do with the boot loader. If you really want to figure it out, I'd highly recommend stopping by the Remastersys forum and asking Fragadelic, the Remastersys developer.
    I would have tried burning the image on CD if it would have been less then 700MB. Well, as I gave all the details about what I did; what do you think, could there be any problem in image itself?
    I will try to get it burned on DVD and then try to boot.
    Anyway, thanks for your recommendation.

Beans

You could also try adding a vanilla Ubuntu ISO to the USB for starters... and then go one by one. It's prolly got something to do with initrd??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You could also try adding a vanilla Ubuntu ISO to the USB for starters... and then go one by one. It's prolly got something to do with initrd??
    I'll try...thanks

Edit:
    Customized Live Image was perfectly fine, just had problem with Live-USB...that too is solved using unetbootin.
    http://loscompanion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6690.0
    Last edited by munishvit; March 16th, 2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Got the solution

Beans

I'm about to add some more stuff later today...

Get ready!!

Beans

This is a great thread and how to. Thanks a bunch.

I have already made on remaster of 8.10 and am going to do another now that I know what I do not and do like from the first (ain't RW great). This thread will make my life a lot easier.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

RW *is* great. I can't get all of my config files to save with USB persistence, tho. Some things seem to save, while others don't.

Anyway, I updated the USB Persistence section as much as I could tonight (getting tired) and a couple Remastersys links, like the new Remastersys forum home.

Tomorrow, I should be able to add another section on what files are good candidates to remove if you're running outta space... and I'll be trying to see if I can clean the formatting up a bit, but it gets more and more difficult as I add new sections.

Beans

UPDATED...

Added the section on suggested packages to remove and changed formatting for easier readability.

Beans

UPDATED a few minor things... and mostly made the guide more portable between different forums.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast