Thread: Absolute beginner problems

Beans

Absolute beginner problems

I am very very new to Ubuntu and not very computer literate so if you can help please spell out every step - thanks.
    First of all, Can anyone tell me how to install downloads - I can find them OK in Firefox but for example want to install Vuescan which has a Linux version which I've downloaded OK but can't use it!
    Secondly, I have a HP LaserJet 1018 which I can't get to print although a message told me it was found and working.

Any help gratefully received.

Alan
    Last edited by photogenius_uk; February 18th, 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Absolute beginner problems

Hi Alan,

Never really downloaded software from the internet and then installed it on the system like you would do when using windows. I'm sure it's possible but
    normally I go to > add and remove programs < (or adept manager) search a program in the list that can do the job, mark the checkbox and click apply changes. and voilà ...

I have a hp deskjet printer that works fine although in the beginning I was searching the printer icon like you have in windows, to control printer tasks.
    I added it to the taskbar, leftclick on an empty space on the taskbar > add applet to panel > scroll down and click on print system

rgds Tom
    only a dead fish follows the flow !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Absolute beginner problems