Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: resolution bigggg issue

Beans

Re: resolution bigggg issue

its for the system. has the model number and everything. My dad pretty much gave it to me and said "press enter". so yeah i have all my stuff backed up and I will be doing a system recovery.

Beans

also. which would you reccomend? I dont want to keep using Ubuntu as the res issue will probably happen again. I was thinking mint looks good? what do you think about mint?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by semitone36 View Post
    lol my sig says dont use "sudo rm -rf" (all one command)

If you were to use it you would basically be telling your computer "I order you to destroy yourself"

"sudo" on its own is okay so long as you understand what the commands that follow it do.

Anyways Im sorry to hear about your files. Has your resolution situation improved at all? If not I can give you the commands to restore it to what it was before you copy/pasted all that code.
    In the hopes to create a better resolution on this, I edited that file and am now stuck with 800x600 screen resolution. I've tried reverting back to the file I had before but it doesn't work. The strange thing is that when I rebooted the computer the first time it asked me about my monitor specs and actually seemed to be working fine with that so I'm not sure what happened to that... any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by rcfllyer View Post
    also. which would you reccomend? I dont want to keep using Ubuntu as the res issue will probably happen again. I was thinking mint looks good? what do you think about mint?
    Yes Linux Mint is very good, but you have to remember that Mint is Ubuntu Based, so you may have the same problems again.
    I am sure that this could be sorted out, but you may need a bit of patience. No good flying off the handle & throwing the machine out of the window when it doesn't work first time
    There are many Linux Distro's, but mostly everyone on this forum will try to steer you in the right direction. Ubuntu is probably the best community supported Linux Distro & most posters really want to help you out. So don't give up just yet. Even though we will try to help with other distro's as well.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

ok i have everything installed on windows. Im not sure I want to take a chance of messing up my computer by doing the whole linux thing. I may just keep wubi the way I had it. According to what i heard the first time wubi did partitions for you and when I had it it says it was under a different partition so idk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

If you don't want to take a chance I guess you have two options open to you. You can go down the wubi route or you could install VirtualBox & install Ubuntu that way.
    Virtual box is a very nice piece of software that enables you to have virtual machines installed on your system. It is also Free.
    Find out about it here: http://www.virtualbox.org/
    It is just like any other software that you install, so there is no way to completely mess up your system.
    I use it to try out other Linux Distro's & even Windows 7.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234