Thread: resolution bigggg issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: resolution bigggg issue

Open a terminal Window & copy this command:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
    That gives you a backup of your original xorg.conf file before editing it with
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It doesnt really sound like you WANT linux on your system. If I were you, assuming that your windows partition is corrupted, I would just reinstall windows.

Wubi is meant to be run on a properly functioning windows operating system. Since windows isnt working for you, that explains why you are having issues with ubuntu. Unless you do a fresh install of either Windows or Ubuntu, youre just trying to save a sinking ship.
    NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the commands: sudo rm -rf or rm -rf unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing! These commands will permanently erase data on your computer!

Guitarists! Show us what you can do!

Beans

it always did this for me even when windows was running good. I want to use ubuntu at least long enough to back up my data. WHICH MAY NOT BE POSSIBLE. yeah i copied and pasted all the code and guess what happenes. I restart the computer AND IT RUNS IN SOME WEIRD LOW GRAPHICS MODE. pretty much a black screen where i can hear but I cant do anything!

Beans

oh you can choose reconfigure graphics or troubleshoot error

Beans

oh and to your sig. I have used sudo before becsaue places liek this tell me to.

Beans
    Distro

lol my sig says dont use "sudo rm -rf" (all one command)

If you were to use it you would basically be telling your computer "I order you to destroy yourself"

"sudo" on its own is okay so long as you understand what the commands that follow it do.

Anyways Im sorry to hear about your files. Has your resolution situation improved at all? If not I can give you the commands to restore it to what it was before you copy/pasted all that code.
    Last edited by semitone36; February 18th, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
    NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the commands: sudo rm -rf or rm -rf unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing! These commands will permanently erase data on your computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rcfllyer View Post
    oh and to your sig. I have used sudo before becsaue places liek this tell me to.
    his signature tells u not to use sudo rm -rf or rm -rf because he is trying to help people from asses that give unknowing users malicious commands like the ones in his sig that will do very very bad things
    The main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing!!

Beans

well i chose reconfigure to defauly
    didnt work. So I started it up in recovery mode and I will bakcup all my windows data (word doc. pictures files ect.) and then I think I will start fresh. and maby install ubuntu also. when going through something like this it kinda makes me want to have it

Beans
    Distro

Really? Then perhaps you will do well in the Linux community. Its not often that I meet another person who actually enjoys troubleshooting a comp.

I wish you luck in your experience!

Beans

well I got ubuntu running again and here is what I plan on doing.

backup all my windows data (dad will give me one of his external hardrives)
    get rid of ubuntu and windows (help from online)
    reinstall windows AND ubuntu separate partitions and I will try to get the res good if it is still messed up.

its fun only becasue i have 2 other computers i can use for doing real work on if this was my only computer i would be annoyed becasue i cant go on the internet to get help from you. of course rightnow im on ubuntu but in that weird thing with low graphics mode its a good thing i had another computer.

hey by any chance do you know how to get rid of an OS and then install windows 2000 and Ubuntu on separate partitions? windows 2000 I have the cd ubuntu I belive you have to make.

ps. ugg i dont like low res. but im not taking any chances anymore until i can get my files on that external hd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast