Thread: What sound/video software works best with Hardy Heron?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What sound/video software works best with Hardy Heron?

I'm hoping to make the cross over to Open Source, at present I use windows for photo manipulation, publishing edited clips on the net and sound recording.

I have already become familiar with The Gimp and think it is a fantastic tool for working creatively with photos/images. The other application I use are Windows Movie Maker for video and Cubase Le for music recording and mixing - is there anything amongst open source software that can match these for usability and output?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: What sound/video software works best with Hardy Heron?

It looks more like Ubuntu Studio is going to be your kind of thing. It already comes with the best Linux software for music recording and mixing, and it comes with a reasonably capable video editor that I haven't tried yet. Video editing is not very stable or mature on Linux, but it is suitable for semi-basic uses and is improving. There's no shame running Windows in a virtual machine (or dual-booting) to do your video work until things get better; this is what my father usually does, although he sometimes uses Kdenlive if he just needs to do a bit of chopping.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: What sound/video software works best with Hardy Heron?

There is a small list of video editors here: http://techcityinc.com/2009/02/top-1...-ubuntu-linux/

But, Open Movie Editor appears to be an easy and powerful application for simple usage.

As for audio editing, if you aren't dependant on MIDI, then you can look at either Audacity or the formidable Ardour.

Regards
    Iain