Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Beans

Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Thank you, Nallen00!! I am a complete Ubuntu n00b, but my husband convinced me to give it a go (read: formatted my brand new laptop & installed Ubuntu when I wasn't looking). It's ok, I didn't want Vista anyway (<shudder>)

Anyway, I have an HP dv6 and my sound wasn't working, either. Your directions were easy to follow, I only got hung up once, and that was when I didn't enter the command correctly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now my spiffy laptop is spiffier!

Beans
    Hidden!

Unhappy Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Quote Originally Posted by dep01 View Post
    Hello everyone. I have a HP Pavilion 1275mx and doing the following solved it:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    add the following to the end of the file.

Code:
    # Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1 
    options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
    Cheers,
    dep
    adding this didn't help me anything.
    I Have HP 6735s.

Beans

hi there! im using an hp pavilion dv2 and i can hear some sound when im using a headphone i did the command below

Code:
    #> ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors
    #> make
    #> sudo make install-modules
    #> sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    [add 'options snd_hda_intel model=hp-dv5' sans quotes to the bottom of the file, even if you have a dv4, etc.]
    #> sudo reboot
    and after doing it even the sound coming from my headphones disappeared.. but the weird thing is i hear a beep sound everytime i shutdown my laptop or if i use the terminal and if i press the left and right arrows i can hear a beeping sound.

can somebody help me with this.

We've had so many issues with using any other OS apart from what has shipped with them (namely vista).

I heard that HP entered into an agreement with M/S to not provide support for any other OS apart from Vista. I don't agree with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The problem arising after installing the alsa snapshot could be because your mixer levels are turned low or muted. For this, please start alsamixer (terminal>alsamixer) and check the sound levels. Hope this solves the problem.

The fact about HP not supporting any other OS other than Vista(and 7 now) is true, and this can be confirmed by one call to their customer care number.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thank you so much for posting this. After more than a month of trying other solutions that never made any difference, this one finally worked and I'm listen to music on my HP dv5-1334 as I type this.

One note for anyone else using Kubuntu Jaunty, I followed the instructions in the original post almost verbatim, but I had to change "sudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base" to "sudo kate /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Also big thanks from myself to nallen00 and all the alsa-folks. It works great on my HP Pavilion DV6-1260sg. The file is called alsa-base.conf. Use model=hp-dv5 even for the dv6. I called alsamixer from the terminal afterwards to put all levels to max because I can reduce them afterwards in my apps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I thought I should put an update in here.

I booted up my laptop this morning and found a few updates waiting for me. I can't remember exactly, but something about the linux kernal (when I boot up now the big string of numbers for the linux kernal version now ends in 16 instead of 15).

Anyway, I performed the update, rebooted, and was surprised to find I no longer had sound. Again.

So I performed these steps again (also the alsa-base.conf file already had the proper model listed this time).

But after a reboot, I now have sound again. I don't know why the update undid the changes from this tutorial, but it did.

Beans

Thanks so much, I am a complete noob (15 mins in) and your walk through was easy to follow and has Worked!

I do have one question though: the speaker volume even at max is pretty soft, is there anyway I can increase the volume?

Thanks again man

Beans

Please ignore my question, I was busy being an idiot.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast