Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

This is something that always occurs.... Every kernel recompilation kills the alsa update.

But how does it matter? All it takes is an occasional 5 minutes of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet_Man View Post
    I thought I should put an update in here.

I booted up my laptop this morning and found a few updates waiting for me. I can't remember exactly, but something about the linux kernal (when I boot up now the big string of numbers for the linux kernal version now ends in 16 instead of 15).

Anyway, I performed the update, rebooted, and was surprised to find I no longer had sound. Again.

So I performed these steps again (also the alsa-base.conf file already had the proper model listed this time).

But after a reboot, I now have sound again. I don't know why the update undid the changes from this tutorial, but it did.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dep01 View Post
    Hello everyone. I have a HP Pavilion 1275mx and doing the following solved it:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    add the following to the end of the file.

Code:
    # Keep snd-pcsp from beeing loaded as first soundcard
    options snd-pcsp index=-2
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1 
    options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=1
    Cheers,
    dep

This worked for me. After loading karmic on my new HP G71 laptop I only had sound through headphones not through the internal speakers. It all works now. I noticed that Windows 7 was using the IDT audio Codec and not the Intel Codec but found no way to get IDT working under karmic. It seems to be working fine with the above settings. Thanks to the original poster.

Beans
    Distro

Guys,

I think I found a good solution to the sound issues. Just upgrade to Karmic.

All issues with sound on my laptop are resolved under Karmic. I have an IDT soundcard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hiya everyone!
    sadly none of the solutions listed on this massive thread helped me BUT! If you installed the "software modem" proprietary driver, remove it! apparently it has a nasty bug that makes your computer all unhappy and unable to play sound. But removing solves the problem

though on start i noticed that the volume was automatically muted, so to solve this install aumix
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install aumix
    and add the following to your startup scripts
    Code:
    aumix -v 50
    this will set the main volume on your computer to 50%

Beans

Smile Re: ATTENTION HP dvX laptop owners with speaker sound issues ...

It works but to get it to fully work I had to go into sound preferences and go to the Hardware tab, setting the dropdown to Analog Stereo Output. Thanks for the post. Did you know this is my first time in a forum? I guess that's why I'm a Linux newb. Good day everyone!

Beans

I have a HP DV6-1030 that initially, after following the instructions in: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073090 worked through the speakers but not the headphones. Using the most recent ALSA snapshot, sound now works in headphones and speakers.

Beans

jstalnak,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This work perfectly with my HP Pavillion DV7-3060US laptop, running Win 7 / Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic dual boot. For the longest time since installing 9.10 I couldn't play any music or watch videos, and now sound works perfectly!

Just one thing I should add to people reading this guide, unzip the files onto your desktop, then make sure to cd to that Desktop directory, code something like 'cd Desktop' and then cd again to the name of the folder, it should be like alsa-mixer.

Works great (volume is a LITTLE low but I'm sure I will figure that out) and I'm very happy, thanks SO much again!

Beans
    Distro

For volume, the default speaker volume is generally set low after the patch. Type in "alsamixer" (without the quotes) in terminal and increase the speaker volume to a comfortable level. BTW, I do not understand why the patch is required in Karmic at all... Almost all my issues with the sound card went away on the upgrade to Karmic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by topcoder View Post
    For volume, the default speaker volume is generally set low after the patch. Type in "alsamixer" (without the quotes) in terminal and increase the speaker volume to a comfortable level. BTW, I do not understand why the patch is required in Karmic at all... Almost all my issues with the sound card went away on the upgrade to Karmic.

Thanks topcoder. I am aware of the alsamixer in terminal, and that is what I used to adjust my volume, although it would be nice if I were able to set the default volume for all applications across the board, so I don't have to keep tweaking with it. Hopefully, in Lucid this problem will be fixed. Just want to state once again that I'm using an HP Pavillion DV7-3060US (brand new laptop manufactured just months ago) and this solved my problem. I DID change the code with options snd_hda_intel model=hpdv5 to dv7 to reflect my computers model, and it works great. Thanks again!
    Last edited by opethfan89; February 4th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

Fixed my DV7-3165dx... I wasn't getting audio from speakers or headphone jack. Thanks!!!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast