Thread: Enterprise education

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Lightbulb Enterprise education

Enterprise education

First off Hi, to everyone, if I put this in the wrong spot let me know. I just jotted this down so sorry if it is in brainstorm mode.

With the new administration in the US wanting to move America forward the best place to start is education. I feel open source software can be the silver bullet to cure our ailing educational system. However I don’t know about anyone looking to Enterprise education software. I think Edubuntu can fill that gap with some modification. Here is what is I was thinking of.

1. Needs to be free

Edubuntu is a good start for creating an enterprise education. It is free and open source software freely available to everyone. We just need to augment it with some additional open source software. By modifying the open source CRM software it can become a reality.

2. Has to be scaleable

It needs to be scalable for the schools. Be it rural schools with 10 student or urban schools with 2000 or more students.

3. Needs to address all grade levels

Has to have curriculum for k – 12 in all critical areas Math, Language, science, and arts which edubuntu has but needs to be improved upon

4. Needs to be customizable

It needs to be customizable for the schools. They need to be able to import or create school logos colors and stationary into the package. They also have to be able to customize what software they use and when.

5. Needs to be able to updated regularly

Need to be able to be upgraded remotely and locally from authorized servers. Edubuntu can already do this.

6. Need Cams for collaboration

It needs web cams for collaboration and meetings and announcements. Interaceive learnging can be cheap see this link http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

7. Need track progress of the users learning and Identify problem areas.

Teacher needs console to track progress and see who needs help in certain areas. This console should also be tied into the administration of the school to gauge performance of the teachers. This is where that CRM software kicks in.

8. Needs remote access for students

Students need to be able to log in remotely to access a lesson if needed. This can be for homework for student who are out sick for a while. This can be done via the schools intranet.

9. Can send out update to parents via email(grades, projects, and meetings)

Needs to be able to send parents email on progress of students. If parents don’t have email setup free mail account that they can access from anywhere ie. Gmail.

10. Remotes access to progress for students for parents.

Parents should be able to log in and view progress of children. This can be set up via the schools intranet.

So there you have it. What do you think? Is something like this in the works. If not this can be a killer app for Ubuntu.
    Life is too short live happy!

Re: Enterprise education

There's actually a website just for submitting ideas! It's at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/.

Having said that, I'm sure the Edubuntu people would love having another passionate and enthusiastic volunteer helping to make things happen. ^.^
    3 apps that make Ubuntu more like a Mac
    How to make Ubuntu look and feel like Mac OS X

Tarutaru icon (c) 2001-2004 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Enterprise education

Quote Originally Posted by Murrquan View Post
    There's actually a website just for submitting ideas! It's at http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/.

Having said that, I'm sure the Edubuntu people would love having another passionate and enthusiastic volunteer helping to make things happen. ^.^
    Did it thanks.
    Life is too short live happy!