Thread: What are people using for DHCP for IPv6

Beans

What are people using for DHCP for IPv6

I've just started getting IPv6 up and running on my network and I need a DHCP server to configure DNS settings and ddns. So far I've found wide-dhcpv6-server, but the documentation is abysmal. Are there any other packages available or any how-tos for setting things up?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: What are people using for DHCP for IPv6

I've done a little bit of testing with wide-dhcpv6-server against windows dhcp server and wide-dhcpv6-client.
    --Superb--

Beans

Have you gotten a chance to do much configuration? What did you use for reference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by spectre_25gt View Post
    Are there any other packages available or any how-tos for setting things up?
    A while ago (more than a year), I used dibbler-server and dibbler-client with quite limited success; the local IPv6 project then drifted away and I never looked at it again. It might be better now.

regards

Marc
    The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Beans

Thanks. I'll look into that a bit. The website definitely seems to have a good amount of information on it.

Beans

Well, I got dibbler-server up and running at home. I can't seem to find anything on ddns, though. Also, 8.04 ships with dibbler 0.6.1, so I'm thinking I may be upgrading to 8.10 to get myself a bit more up to date.

Beans

Just wanted to give an update. I've decided to abandon DHCPv6 for the time being as OS X does not have a DHCPv6 client and is not likely to get one anytime soon. It relies solely on router discovery. Most of the clients on my network are Macs, so it would be pointless for me to pursue that method.

I haven't really found a good option for service discovery yet. I did, however, find an RFC on the subject. It's available at http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4339.txt