Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux version of Google Chrome to use GTK+

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Linux version of Google Chrome to use GTK+

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    Also, I'm sure by the day it's released people gonna take the source and rebrand it so that we don't have to live with google logos all around on our screen
    Or maybe a version without tabs in the title bar. Just joking, I just don't like the idea, but can live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkon View Post
    I think the separate process per tab is already a win, I am already sick of having to Kill firefox in whole.
    That's really good, but can different processes really use the same window? (sorry, I'm no GUI programmer)

Though I believe they would have been completely better off with using QT instead. I am convinced that the only qt browser is going to be Konqueror which is why it's development should be further supported. Also, Qt defaults to GTK I believe when on Gnome, so we don't have to deal with GTK apps looking like crap on KDE.
    Qt looks crap in Gnome, even with QGtkStyle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Or maybe a version without tabs in the title bar. Just joking, I just don't like the idea, but can live with it.
    you don't like to idea of rebranding or having google logos all over ?

That's really good, but can different processes really use the same window? (sorry, I'm no GUI programmer)
    windows version has this option, it's really a great feature considering that I have to kill firefox at least couple of time a day

if you mean the crappy looking fonts, then there is a trivial solution for this that requires only to create a .fonts.conf xml file on your home dir. Although with QT version 4.5 they fixed it.
    QGtkstyle looks 100% same as GTK. Even the file dialog is native GTK.
    Last edited by cb951303; February 17th, 2009 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    Firefox 3.1's js engine is faster than chrome
    That point is really kind of trivial. Javascript speed has basically become an arms race among browsers.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

I'll use it if they make a QT Version too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    It also feels like crap in GNOME, lacking basic functionality like configurable menu accelarators and the ability to use the scroll wheel on notebooks.
    Oh, now I've started it :P

I didn't realize it used the native file dialogue, though. That's cool! I wish there were more Qt4 apps to play with in the repositories. Oh well, some day...

Nah, I would not be surprised to see a Qt version appear eventually, which would make me very happy when using KDE. In fairness, KDE already has an amazing web browser with a functioning rendering engine. GTK-based desktops deserve one, too :)

As for the "Google is secretly harvesting my personal information" thing... This project is open source. It would not be very secret with the code right there in the open. And no, they are not.

I seriously believe they are building this browser because they want to combat Microsoft's efforts to persuade people into the MSN-defaulting Internet Explorer. If they make a browser that is so vastly superior that its rays of awesome shine down even on the most clueless users, people use it and search / see Google with it. They can call the shots for web standards instead of Microsoft. Fine by me, because Microsoft has consistently not cared at all about web standards other than their own.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; February 17th, 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ghindo View Post
    That point is really kind of trivial. Javascript speed has basically become an arms race among browsers.
    True, I've never had the impression that web applications are notoriously slow with today's JavaScript engines. Lag due to the Internet connection delay seem to be a bigger problem as the interface sometimes waits until it receives a response from the server. On the other hand the web applications are probably tuned to the execution speed of this browser generation so newer and faster JavaScript implementations might make new applications possible.

Anyway, the only browser which could benefit from a faster JavaScript implementation immensely is Firefox, where JavaScript is also used heavily in XUL. Unfortunately, TraceMonkey will probably be disabled for the interface in 3.1 as the developers can't vouch for the stability of both the native interface as well as the extensions.

One of the major improvements by the process separation is that it is less likely that a busy tab or a resource hogging plug-in will block the user interface as it runs in its own process. This really helps on sites which either use JavaScript or Flash extensively.

Beans

Was hoping for a GTK version, but ah well. I'll be happy when Chrome comes to Linux natively, but I'll only be using it for website testing.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    As for the "Google is secretly harvesting my personal information" thing... This project is open source. It would not be very secret with the code right there in the open. And no, they are not.
    This is a common fallacy as you simply don't know if the binary you download is derived from the publicly accessible source code and that it hasn't been modified before compilation. Not that I intend to advocate paranoia as I don't really believe that Google is harvesting information unless already advertised.

Plus, most Linux distributions compile their code themselves so this point is probably moot. Just a reminder when downloading binaries.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Erunno View Post
    This is a common fallacy as you simply don't know if the binary you download is derived from the publicly accessible source code and that it hasn't been modified before compilation. Not that I intend to advocate paranoia as I don't really believe that Google is harvesting information unless already advertised.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install build-essentials
    sudo aptitude remove --purge apt
    Now I'll only install from source.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If it's going to be open, i'll use it.
    .i coi rodo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast