Thread: Heat Issues?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Red face Heat Issues?

Hello again! Just a quick question about something I've noticed. Lately my laptop has been a bit hotter than usual, especially in the fan area and such. Speedfan says my CPUs are at 149 degrees F, which doesn't seem normal to me.

Anyhow, my question is should I get some compressed air and maybe clean out the fan as good as possible (not even sure how easy it is to reach on this laptop). Or are there any applications (Windows or Linux) that will allow me to speed up the fan for a bit to see if it helps.

I mainly notice the heating when the laptop is left idle, which is kind of weird to me...

Pangolin v2 by the way, I'm still kicking it old school

If any of the support team thinks I should send it in for a checkup, I might as well do that because the left and right click problem is still happening (I didn't want to send it in for a problem as little as that so I just found a semi-useful USB mouse)

Anyhow, thanks for your time!
    System 76 Pangolin Value (PanV2)
    Asus EEEPC 1005HA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Heat Issues?

Are you running 32-bit Ubuntu? And, if so, does this problem occur after resuming from suspend or hibernate? Or does it do it from a fresh reboot.

Canned air is a great idea anyway. Just remove the larger of the panels on the bottom and then you will see the CPU fan.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Rowan,
    What is this SpeedFan program? I was looking for it in the Synaptic repositories but I couldn't find it.

Regards,
    AK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Are you running 32-bit Ubuntu? And, if so, does this problem occur after resuming from suspend or hibernate? Or does it do it from a fresh reboot.

Canned air is a great idea anyway. Just remove the larger of the panels on the bottom and then you will see the CPU fan.
    Kubuntu 32bit actually, Figured it was time to try out KDE 4.2 This happens just in normal running in both linux and windows, so i figure it's possibly something to do with hardware. I'll definitely clean the fan, it's probably that. If it continues I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by arepaking View Post
    Hi Rowan,
    What is this SpeedFan program? I was looking for it in the Synaptic repositories but I couldn't find it.
    It's a Windows program, I dual-boot (actually Linux is installed via Wubi, got tired of dealing with partitions)
    System 76 Pangolin Value (PanV2)
    Asus EEEPC 1005HA