Thread: CD/DVD drive automatically unmounting in 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

CD/DVD drive automatically unmounting in 8.10

I have noticed in 8.10 that my dvd drives automatically mount and unmount by themselves, for example after a few hours on discs in the drives will mysteriously disappear off the desktop and ejecting and inserting again yields nothing in nautilus , i get an error about "unable to mount media no disc in drive" or a dbus /Hal error "DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

However after a few hours suddenly the drive will be mounted again, trying to mount manually from the terminal causes the drive that has the disc in it to hang
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/scd0
    Thats what the terminal displays nothing that the mount failed or that it was successful.
    The only recourse usually requires a reboot.
    Its very frustrating because there is no rhyme or reason to it.
    Sometimes i may want to listen to a music cd, watch a dvd or burn something to dvd/cd and the discs don't get recognized when inserted as being in the drive.
    This is the first time this has happened , it never happened in earlier versions of ubuntu so it must be 8.10 specifc.
    Last edited by cor2y; February 16th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.