Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ati driver

Beans

ati driver

anybody heard of a new ati driver coming out? ive tried everything on forums and web still cant get card to work

Beans

Re: ati driver

The proprietary (fglrx) or open source ones?

Beans

all im trying to do is get card to work no luck

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by delpgdn View Post
    all im trying to do is get card to work no luck
    Can you give us specifics? What type of card is it? Are you trying to install the fglrx proprietary driver and if so can it be installed through Restricted Drivers or are you trying to download the driver from the ati site? I don't exactly know what model your card is but here's a link to installing proprietary ati drivers (fglrx)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Beans

card is radeon 9000 tried everything on your page zip

Beans

The card should technically work with this driver http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/l...n-prer200.html however it is indeed old and hasn't had any updates in a while. So the reason it won't work is becuase it won't work with newer versions of xorg which I believe is something like 7.4 for intrepid. Instead Ubuntu should be defaulting to the open source radeon driver. Does X work at all for you?

Beans

lspci shows radeon controller have ati control center but no driver xorg etc works tried all you wrote about nothing i installed restricted drivers zip nothing under hardware drivers 8.10

Beans

What I'm saying the driver for your card doesn't look like it will work with the newer versions of Xorg because it hasn't been updated since 2006. Thus since X is working for that means that Ubuntu is falling back on the open source radeon driver which should allow you to run a perfectly fine GUI but out fof the box won't give you 3D and thus things like compiz won't work.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What isn't working? I have the same card and it works out of the box with the default open-source drivers.

Beans

no control panel for card desktop effects not enable no visible change in anykind of video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast